Boehner and the Republicans are ready to fight

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by downloads, Nov 6, 2014.

1. downloads

downloads Well-Known Member

http://online.wsj.com/articles/john-boehner-obamacare-should-be-repealed-replaced-1415299434

Speaker of the House John Boehner just held a press conference this afternoon. The tone he set was that the Republicans, who now control both chambers of Congress, are ready to challenge the President on many issues. He vowed that they will attempt another repeal of Obamacare, the individual mandate, and also immigration reform.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

The president also indicated he is less than willing to work out some deals. Both sides are going to have to quit playing to their bases and learn to get things done. Entitlement reform, tax reform, the key stone pipeline, etc. There are plenty of areas the sides can work together on issues where the American people give wide support. I'm as conservative as you can get, but I realize you have to make deals with the other side at times.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Republicans can try to repeal Obamacare but since it's dear to Obama, he'll veto any such bill that lands on his desk. So they might as well forget that they'll get it done but I expect they'll do all they do lots of talking to show those who elected them that they at least tried. The GOP may have taken the Senate but it doesn't mean they're suddenly so powerful that they can get anything they want done.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The thing about "compromise" in US national politics in recent years is that it has meant that the GOP caves in and gives in to Obama and his admin and gives them whatever they want, since the MSM will protect him and vilifiy the Repubs no matter what.

5. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

Let them go ahead, as long as tehy do what the people need and not what they want .

6. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

Your report amazes me. We studied the democratic process in middle school, high school, and college. They may attempt to repeal Obamacare. President Obama would veto any bill passed. Therefore, they would need 2/3 of all the US Congress to override any presidential veto. There are 100 senators. There are at least 435 in the US House of Representatives. They would need at least 357 members to override a presidential veto. I do not see that happening within two years.

Boehner is just blowing hot air as he so often has in the past. I cannot blame him for trying to stir up his base. That is his job. However, no where is it written that he must tell the truth. BOEHNER RARELY TELLS ANY TRUTH!