BREAKING NEWS! Celine Dion lists $62.5 million dollar home in Florida.

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Investor, Sep 24, 2014.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

That asking price is obviously inflated - she'll almost surely have to settle for a much lower figure if she's really serious about selling - sometimes people just put those homes on the market with such a ridiculous price just in case any super rich suckers bite.

Celebs can sometimes pull it off because they are worshipped by so many people. And there's also usually the location - celebs tend to live in very desirable areas. South Fla, Southern Cal, NYC, etc are so expensive because of this.

I recently had a very nice home built not too far from Houston, Tx. It's very large, and I have a little bit of yardage and a nice pool. It was nowhere NEAR 8 figures.

Around here you can usually buy a nice new or like new home in a nice area for $100-$150 or so a square foot, sometimes a little less. It's rare to have to pay $200 per square foot around here - you're probably overpaying. The home I recently sold for $500k was nearly 4k sq ft on the golf course across the street from the country club, walking distance from the lake, and had a screened-in pool. It was built about 20 years ago, and I paid under $400k for it several years ago.

10k sq ft is very large. Homes that are 15k sq ft are huge, much less homes that are 30k or even 50k or more. And they cost a fortune over time just to keep up. I could not imagine a home that was 50k sq ft!

2. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

Can't even fathom what a house that expensive would look like. The price is probably inflated because of the location, but still... damn.

And no, I won't ever be making a purchase that big. I'm not even sure if I would want to. I can only imagine with the property tax would be like on a 72 million dollar home.

3. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

Whoa! that's deep JoshPosh! I really liked when you said "With that kind of money you can actually cure a disease. But nah, let's buy a house instead". Did you know that the ALS donations amounted to just over 100 million dollars? Celine's house value is very much half of that and a little more!

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

$65 M is a lot of money to spend on a house but I'm sure there are some rich people who won't mind forking out such an insane amount of cash to buy a house a celebrity lived in. As though that really matters . . . a celeb is no better than the average Joe. Even if I had the money I don't think I'd buy a house that costs more than $300K.

5. jason

jason Guest

Rainman, Yeah, I guess a celeb owned house has some value but I can't imagine that value holding for very long. Celine will just buy another property and transfer the value along. I wouldn't base the value on a property/home on the celeb alone. I agree with you--I wouldn't buy a house over that amount either if the celebrity aspect was part of the cost.

6. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Totally relate with Jason on that fact, i'd rather spread that money to other arenas than splurge on a huge house...anyway she's a pop star, money does not stop falling of from the sky...she's free to do whatever :)

7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

That is a lot of money, I wonder what the house looks like , well she works hard for it, she can enjoy whatever house she needs I wonder if it will be sold in cash!that would be alot of cash to count.

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Celine Dion may be a popstar but if I have that $62.5 million dollars then I would invest in the dividend stocks like Warren Buffet. Then try to invest part of that money into my own online business.

9. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

The stock market is very risky, I have experience to tell you, your intentions are good, and I see your point, but If I was your financial adviser, I would really have to slow you down and direct your mind to other forms of investments which aren't are high risk as the stock market, I would tell you to invest in the other way around, starting with business, then stocks, because, with business, you will have a greater control of your operations, with stocks, you have no control, and in business, control is everything. See where I'm going? just my two cents.

10. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Yep, when artists make a bad investment they can lose everything and as a result they need to sell their property.