Buy Pharmaceutical Stocks?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Rainman, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Pharmaceutical stocks have done well this year so far and some experts believe the up-trend will hold up for a while.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...plain-sight-the-5-best-stocks-in-pharmac.aspx
    That is probably the reason why investors should be cautious. Could be pharmaceutical stocks have hit their peak. What do you guys think? Are the forecasts convincing?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

All I can say is that JNJ is looking pretty damn attractive at these prices. I'll probably put in a buy order for next week.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I do have a fair amount of money at this time in puts and calls and small long positions on a pretty large number of mostly smaller biotechs.

4. Collin1000

Collin1000 Member

Small and midsize biotechs are hot right now, and the trend isn't going away. I don't see anything hurting this market.

There's also a small, but very real chance that a pharmaceutical or biotech you invest in gets a major drug to market - you'll be seeing a huge return on your investment.

Look at AMGN. If you had invested in 2011 at ~$50, you'd be sitting at ~$150 right now four years later.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

The biotech trend is definitely there. I'm not familiar enough with them and I generally don't enjoy investing in companies that are super volatile or companies who are not making a steady profit. And as far as I know that is the deal with a lot of these companies.

Diversification is the key again. JR has a pretty solid strategy in my opinion, smaller positions and more companies.