Buyin' The Dips!

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by JR Ewing, Aug 25, 2016.

1. longtermbull

longtermbull Administrator Staff Member

Hi @JR Ewing

Any new stocks we should be looking at buying on the dips? Or are you a net seller at the moment?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

A great company down 5% today is often a gift - particularly if the selloff is an overreaction to news that may not be very bad, or bad at all, or if the selloff is due to a broad market selloff like today.

I recently bought back into AMZN, NFLX, and FB on dips in recent months. Just a few others I've had great recent success with buying on dips fairly recently are LOXO, SHOP, CRSP, and FMI.

3. JR Ewing

I have taken my share of profits in recent times, but I am also still buying bargains when I see them.

4. gowiththeflow

gowiththeflow Senior Investor

If in doubt stick with the blue chips on a flash sell off which can often turn out to be an over reaction. I think Amazon is one to just buy and tuck away - it is going from strength to strength.

5. JR Ewing

Re MDGL, it's up really big today on positive drug news. I owned 130 shares going into today. Sold 100 at $186.93, then sold 20 at $249. Made nearly $10k in realized gains today on this one. First started buying it this last time on 2/8/18 in 10 share increments, have more than doubled my substantial investment.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...-results-for-liver-disease-therapy-2018-05-31

6. JR Ewing

Re VKTX, sold 70 shares at $8.75, made ~ $290.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/33606...okes-viking-therapeutics-27-percent-premarket

7. JR Ewing

Added a bit to positions in DLTR, UHAL, CRSP, DG, ABEO...

8. longtermbull

longtermbull Administrator Staff Member

I was going to add one of your buys to the investment chart section - which do you think will give us the most interesting ride in the short to medium term?

9. JR Ewing

If there was one stock I am currently most optimistic about in the mid to short term, I would say LOXO would be the first name to come to mind.

With that said, I do NOT want anyone to put anywhere near all of their $ into it, or even 10% of their $ into it. It should be a relatively small position in anyone's portfolio due to the risky nature of biotechs in general. More conservative investors should probably avoid it completely, and more aggressive investors who don't already have a nice nestegg should also be extra careful.

10. JR Ewing