Buying a Duplex: Should I live in one side and rent the other out?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by nmb, May 27, 2014.

1. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

It is not a bad idea, because it is all investment, as long as you are able to tolerate, your tenant then, it is all good, because the rent will help you pay up, it is a good way of investing.

2. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

That is the argument i was having with someone on how my property ought to be, he was suggesting since its only one bungalow in a small piece of land, that i ought to add some extra houses within the compound as a source of extra income and security and am thinking, what if complications arise...how do i sort that out?...i agree with you Gelsemium, i 'll deal with my property how i see fit not how someone else sees fit.

3. healthandfitness

healthandfitness Well-Known Member

This is a sure way to eliminate your monthly home expense, but I would think that this would turn out to be a situation that you may want to get out of in a short period. Depending on the tenants, you may find yourself looking to evict them or relocate yourself after you experience what it feels like living with your tenants on the other side of the wall.

4. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I believe it is best to rent out part of the house as it is really of not much use to you. Also if you think you would be alone in such a big house, renting out seems the best thing to do. Make sure that you are very careful while choosing your tenants as you would be living with them within the same roof.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Just now I am at my place and my upstairs neighbors are making noise like hell and what can I do, call the police? Sometimes I wish I didn't live on a flat.

6. ally79

ally79 Guest

No way I would want to live right next door to my tenants. I can see where you would be able to keep an eye on the property, but I think that it would be more hassle than it is worth to have them right there all of the time.