Buying a resort unit for permanent residency

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Corzhens, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

My nephew who had just retired is planning to buy a unit in one beach resort in Boracay - this is the most popular beach area in the Philippines. The 2-bedroom unit is more expensive than this house we are living in so I told my nephew to think it over. His reason is that instead of booking in a hotel (in Boracay) which is very expensive, it would be cheaper to get a house for himself. He wants to stay there for a long time, maybe retire there. I'm against the idea because living in a beach resort is just a whimsical notion and I'm sure he will get tired of the sea.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

If he plans to live there then it's a great idea. And renting out those places, assuming the location is good, can bring in some extra cash to help with the mortgage as long as he is not living there himself. As long as he uses it himself and rents it out if not using.. then I don't see the problem.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

A friend of mine, her son just renovated some apartments in France to rent during ski season for the skiers looking for accommodations. Apparently, his French must be pretty good. He did look hard at all of the implications before deciding to do this. Apparently it was a deal, although he had to do all the fixing up himself. He brought his mother over to stay with him in the newly renovated units, but primarily they will be rentals. He must have found someone to manage the properties for him.

4. 111kg

111kg Guest

I've always wanted to live in Boracay. As long as he's able to sustain himself, then why not? He could always rent a room in his apartment for a couple of nights at a cheaper price (but not necessarily!) and make some money.

However, in my knowledge, living in resort places becomes boring after a while, especially when you are at a young age. After several months of doing the same things and seeing the same things, even the most beautiful places of the world become...ordinary.

What's his financial situation and what's his age?

5. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I was born and raised on the ocean and I never get tired of it. When I am not near it I miss it. The sounds of it, the smells of it, the beauty of it. I suppose living in a resort place may be different in that there would always be people and not the same and where I reside. I love the water and I love waking up to it. I would love nothing more then to live on the water and breath that air every morning! It is a good investment if he does tire of it, he can rent it out and make good money. People are always willing to pay for spots like this. All the best to him!

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

It looks like you are one lucky guy to have grown in the sea. I guess you are right with the crowd since resorts are usually crowded during summer. And considering your orientation in growing up in a boat (am I right on my assumption?) then the crowded resort will be annoying to you. A friend who owns a resort said that most resort owners take a vacation in the city (Manila specifically) during summer. It's just a reverse, huh.

Tags: