California girls fight to become Boy Scout members

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The girls wanted to be "boy scouts" because they can teach themselves things girl scouts don't. Things like building a campfire. The girls started participating in activities alongside a boy scout troop but when news of their participation in boy scout competitions reached the local boy scouts council they were barred from further scouting activities.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-girls-barred-from-boy-scouts-claim-gender-discrimination/
    Thoughts?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I'm not quite sure what to say about this, but maybe the girls involved should have changed the way the girl scouts did things and campaigned to get what they learned up to date, instead of just campaigning to join the boys?

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. It's pretty good that they wanted to do more outdoors type activities and leaves me asking why don't the girl scouts do that sort of stuff for the ones who want to do it.

While on the other hand it makes me ask the question of would a boy have been allowed to join the girl scouts?

4. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Why don't the girl scouts learn to build stuff too? It's an important skill to have and fun.

5. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I think that Boy Scouts should learn what Girl Scouts learn and visa versa. We live in a different time then we did when these programs first came about. It is important that everybody learn all the skills you need to make it on your own. It is just important for boys to learn to cook and sew as it is for girls to learn to build shelter and start campfires.

6. anders

anders Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a situation where organizations can choose for themselves how they run their activities. If the Boy Scouts want to remain just for boys, then that is their right under the concept of free association.

I sometimes think that the people behind these moves are just professional agitators, out to disrupt as many things as possible.

7. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Why wouldn't you let girls learn the same skills as boys?
    The only reason I could see is that a lot of the leaders of the boy scouts enjoy molesting the young boys, so maybe they would feel having girls would ruin the fun.

8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

I saw this, it pissed me off. I'm glad that organization itself put its foot down, and stated the obvious: boys need BOY time, to be with BOYS. HOW is it not obvious to these people that if they are unhappy with an element of an organization they're apart of, they can take steps to enact CHANGE within that organization. But no, NO, we have to make a POLITICAL statement, and win yet another battle in the Gender Wars, and ebb away at an organization that has enriched the lives of countless boys and men across the nation for years. Well rah, rah, sis boom bah.

9. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

The girls need to fight and campaign to do the same activities as boys do, that is the simple solution. As times change so do activities, so that's what they needed to do and base their evidence on what the boy scouts have done. You can't force a a male club to allow females, when a club for females already exists.

10. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

That would be the simple solution to this. They should rite a letter to the girl scouts council and express their interest in learning everything boy scouts learn. The council will discuss the request. I don't see why they wouldn't allow girls to do things boys do. It's time some outdated stuff was done away with.