California girls fight to become Boy Scout members

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Nov 26, 2015.

1. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

I really thought it was just a name. Boy scouts sounded like it was not exclusively for boys but if that is the case and there are girl scouts i do not see why would they interfere and impose to each other. It looks too me like some future feminists wanted to show how all of us are equal which is far from true. Anyway, they can ask in girl scouts to have some changes and learn some other stuff. Write a petition or just talk to someone is something they should do. I am not familiar of the regulations about this but it sounds silly to be separated in first place. What is the point of that?

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Traditionally they were separated for different tasks and badges they can achieve. Girls would have slightly more home orientated tasks, but as time has moved on these are now becoming outdated. They keep the two separate as they do have certain traditions, and I don't see that harm in that as it creates bonding and team work. When you mix the sexes, there are always issues and they can detract from the aims of a camping trip or a task.

That's why I really hate the phrase feminist, as they always seem to fighting for something, when there is actually another and easier alternative.

3. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Let the girl scouts learn camping too jeez! Also boy scouts shouldn't be so dismissive and outright sexist about it as well. My goodness maybe we shouldn't call it boy scouts or girl scouts, maybe we should just call it scouting in general? Gender shouldn't be part of this anyway if the kids just want to learn some skills and have fun.

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I agree with just calling it scouting and for all scouts to learn the same skills. I do think it is a good idea to keep them separate in their groups of boys and girls for camping trips, etc. Boys need their times as girls need there. They could joint together for some activities depending on what it was.

5. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

So if the Girl Scouts wanted to remain exclusively for girls, and stated as such, would you label it as sexist? Or do you only take issue when it happens to be males protecting their space?

6. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

What they need to do is fight to have their scout leaders in the Girl Scouts change the guidelines on what they teach. If they really want to learn certain things the boy scouts teach, then they need to fight for that in their own organization. What they shouldn't do is force an organization into seeming to be discriminatory when it's not. They shouldn't force change on an organization that is not doing anything wrong or violating any rights.

7. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

Whether you are a boy or a girl that should not limit you from learning something.

8. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

:D This is the first thing I though, too, pwarbi... instead of making a fuss about joining the boy scouts, wouldn't it be wiser to just modify the girl scouts to begin some new and exciting things... yep, same thought I had, so I'm glad someone else thought the same. :)

I think that they PC stuff "these days" has gotten so out of hand that it's ludicrous... laughable. It's like anything controversial to get your name or group out there on social media to draw awareness is fair game. I feel that while a few will jump on the bandwagon, more will just roll their eyes and recognize an attention-grab as I do.

The mindset of the day seems to be "anything for drama." Maddening, isn't it? :mad:

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

It's like in the last couple of years the world's gone madder than ever and everybody is just causing disruption just for the sake of it. You only have to look at some comments on a online news story for example and people on there are deliberately trying to cause trouble and stir emotions up for absolutely no reason. Just like these girls are doing here with the boy scouts.

Sometimes you just want to tell people to sit down and shut up...however un PC that might be!

10. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

People just want something to be angry about, and have some sort of "cause" to fight for and make themselves feel important.