California girls fight to become Boy Scout members

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Oh! I can't even do this any longer... I've had to stop reading comments. I kept getting angrier and angrier at the lack of compassion and... well no, it's more than that. It's more like lack of common sense. Lack of brain cells. I suppose a lot of it has to do with the anonymity of the Internet. They'd never say these things to a victim's face (at least I hope not!)

Recent example would be a child dying a horrid death. But I made the mistake of reading comments, thinking I'd see notes of condolence. I was stunned. Instead there was blame... "well if the parent hadn't...." or "maybe there was abuse going on" or "this wouldn't have happened if...." Oh my... it was like no one remembered that a child DIED and there was a grieving family!

I've often noticed that in things like comment sections, forums, social media, etc. that people turn into some kind of soulless robot who's only goal is to make the most clever or biting comment so others will say "wow, great comment" or "I agree!" Argh! :mad:

2. nytegeek

nytegeek Well-Known Member

These girls are likely just rebellious people that are just doing this to be contrary. Either that or they got some strong motivation from adult influences to do this. There are a million different ways they could go about addressing these concerns that might actually be effective and instead they chose the attention seeking route.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

4. knitmehere

knitmehere Well-Known Member

My daughter is in girl scouts, and I can honestly say that they don't do even a quarter of the things that the boy scouts in our area do.

It could also have a lot to do with the troop leaders and their willingness to actually do things, though. Our girls do qualify for camping trips and other activities... our troop leader is just horrible and doesn't ever sign the girls up or offer to give us the information. She also cuts off our activities at the end of winter because she is "too busy" with her own kids to continue with meetings.

So I completely understand why this would happen.

5. phoenix2015

phoenix2015 Well-Known Member

So, let building fires be part of the Girl Scouts curriculum! Why try to force them to integrate. What is it with this recent push to try to get little boys and girls to do everything together? Jeez! what is going on?

6. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Wouldn't it be a tad wiser to change the girl scout polices than to cause an obvious stink about wanting to join the boy scouts just to raise awareness?

And if there's a bad leader... well then what the girl scouts did in my own area is get another scout leader who *will* shake things up with what the girls want to do. Take the more difficult route and change things instead of expecting things to change *for* you. (Collective "you" about the CA girls, not "you" personally, knitmehere.) :)

7. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

I'm 100% with you, phoenix. And I sure wish I could answer your question, but as they say, "ain't gonna happen" because it defies explanation.

Hmmm.... maybe it would be fun to try, though. Sense of entitlement. Yeah, it's probably mostly that. I want my daughter to do boy stuff, so blasted, I'm not going to actually WORK for changes in the girl scouts!!! Horror of horrors! I'm going to cause a fuss instead and doggone it, those boy scouts will let us in so that we shut the heck up about it.

The easy way... everyone wants the easy way. Now.... someone give me a hand getting off this soapbox? :D

8. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Girl Scout troops of America wake up. It is obvious girls want to do more than activities provided by traditional girl scout activities. Boy scout troops do have more fun than girl scout troops it seems...and for those girls who like outdoor activities and fun they should be able to do them. Maybe the girls should be interviewed by GS officials.

9. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

It's crazy how people think that girls cannot do what boys do.

10. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Yes... which is why more people need to get involved and *change* the girl scout rules and bylaws instead of trying to get into the Boy Scouts.

My goodness, for trying to raise our girls into independent women, we're sure not doing such a great job, are we? Fix the Girl Scouts! Why make ourselves look weak and dependent on men? We need a "shaking my head" smiley icon here! :rolleyes: