Can anyone explain me like I'm five what is Obamacare?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by 111kg, Nov 29, 2015.

1. turt

turt Guest

You have to go to exchange here if your employer doesn't offer a plan. If you make below ~$15,000, you don't pay anything and it goes through the state in most cases. After that, the government gives you a tax credit until you make up to around $50,000. I'm single and in my 20s and my plan options for the silver (usually the best coverage for the price) is between $3,000 and $4,000 a year which I think is extremely high. If I was old, it would be around $6K to $7K which is why poorer people could never afford health insurance here.

And since the hospitals treat millions of illegal immigrants for free and people who can't afford insurance end up with free care, it has to be covered by everyone that has insurance and can afford to pay the bill.

The health care act was supposed to make the price of services go down since more people would be paying into the system but that's not happening. My insurance quote went up almost 20% since last year and we have to have insurance by law now.

It also stopped people from getting dropped due to pre-existing conditions and raised the age for dependents up to 26.

2. Ohh22

Ohh22 Member

Obamacare is pretty much a short version to say affordable health care for most of America's citizens. I'm Canadian and I think the United States should really develop a system like ours that let's all have free health care. I'm at a stance where I think it's pretty much a right. Obviously that can sound a little ignorant because of all the third world countries, but that's my say.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

An uncle of mine in the US said that Obamacare is unfair to the working class particularly so that it gives free healthcare to everyone that includes illegal aliens. That means the working class who are paying their taxes are subsidizing the expenses for the illegals. Perhaps there should be clearer guidelines on the implementation of the free health care so that those who deserve to benefit would have the priority. That's one problem with democracy, in principle, people are always equal and sometimes it should not be so.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Nothing in life is "free". Someone is paying for it.

We already had systems in place that would allow the poor to have access to healthcare. Obamacare is a wealth redistribution ploy and a power grab, plain and simple. Health insurance does not equal health care. And a govt takeover of just about anything assures more costs and a reduction in quality.

I do not want the US to be more like Canada, Europe, or anywhere else. If I wanted such a thing, I would move to Canada or Europe.