Can Turkey be trusted with 3 billion euros to ease the refugee crisis?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Alex, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Many Syrian refugees have ended up living in Turkey, though most try to cross into other more favorable parts of Europe. The plan to give Turkey 3 billion euros to help settle the refugees and to encourage them to stay in Turkey has been met with ambivalence. While the refugee crisis doesn't seem to be slowing down, will Turkey really make them feel welcome?

Most don't want to stay and try to get to Germany, so will this money be used properly or not? They can't force the refugees to stay, but despite being safer, they want more; education, jobs, and homes and quite simply there aren't enough funds to support an entire nation for free.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/24/us-europe-migrants-eu-turkey-idUSKBN0TD2EZ20151124

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Wow, if they could all live in Turkey that would solve everyone's problem wouldn't it? There may not be much choice but to trust Turkey unless we all want them banging down our door. Well hmmm this is a conumdrum, but it seems like Turkey might be the best bet in terms of placing the refugees. It is also close enough to their home that they could visit..and perhaps return some day...hint, hint.

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

A big step to easing this crisis would be for Germany and similar nations who previously said they were welcome would be to now say they are not welcome. Yeah it's a harsh move but European nations need to look after their own.

I'm not sure if I really trust Turkey or not. With this situation with Russia brewing I would not be at all surprised to see them use the money to bolster their military strength and defences instead.

4. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Why isn't there more international pressure for places like Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to take on refugees? Europeans (and Americans) are accused of xenophobia and bigotry for even entertaining the notion of refusing refugees, yet many Gulf countries are being OPENLY xenophobic and there seem to be no consequences.

5. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I have noticed this trend as well. When the crisis got the spotlight on it many of those nations pretty much said "your problem, not ours".

The kind of logical side of me thinks that yes they have a bit of a point however considering that the majority are of Muslim faith would it not make sense to welcome them to a country where Islam is the main religion?

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

You are both right as it makes sense, as it close by and the faith and cultures aren't too different. Quite simply these rich Arab countries have rejected them because they don't want refugee camps or the possibility of terrorists living in their country. I watched a report on this, and they are not welcomed there and because there is ni international pressure or media allowed, it's not reported.

Turkey is a poorer country and because it wants to join the EU , it has to show willing, but Turks barely have a good system for their citizens, let alone giving them money to organize something for the refugees.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

This might sound a bit extreme but seeing as Turkey is a Muslim country, I wouldn't trust Turkey to control the refugee crisis at all. While it's true that not all Muslims support ISIS, there are a lot of Muslims that DO sympathise with parts of their agenda, so it stands to reason that Turkey will have more than its fair share of ISIS support.

In my opinion Turkey aren't to be trusted, just ask the Russians.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

What consequences? What consequences would there be for Europe if we would stop? Someone pointing a finger and saying "ohh no you shouldn't do that"?

They aren't taking refugees because quite frankly, when looking at this from the viewpoint of any country, taking in these refugees only provides problems. There is not a single issue being solved by taking them but it's putting an incredible financial load, causing cultural differences (such as refugees raping underaged girls, happened on 3 separate occasions in my country in the past week) as well as the whole terrorism related security aspect.

To put it simply: they aren't taking refugees because they know it's a bad idea.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

As for giving cash to Turkey... mmm how about no? If that would truly wipe out this issue then sure but I have my doubts. It might solve a small portion of it and then next year Turkey would be asking for more money. Paying them to try and keep the refugees in doesn't seem like a smart choice in the long run.

10. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I have a feeling the EU want to give Turkey the responsibility, because no country really wants it, but they can't say that to be politically correct. The idea is that refugees that are taken into a country, are allowed and then must return when it's safe or the war is over. How many really do return though? How can countries enforce a return when the house they left maybe rubble? That's when people go underground and can't be found so that don't have to return.