Can Turkey be trusted with 3 billion euros to ease the refugee crisis?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Alex, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

In light of recent developments [Russian sanctions and the like] I'm certain that Turkey [though they previously couldn't have been trusted] can be trusted now, because if they want the money [and they need it] they'll do whatever it takes to MAKE it hard for refugees to leave Turkey. But whether that will end the refugee crisis is an entirely different matter. Refugees could opt to find other ways to get into Europe.

2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I can't really see the sanctions with Russia effecting them that much at all. If that was the case then I doubt they would have chosen to down the Russian aircraft in the location that is still up for question.

I think the refugee crises will continue for as long as they see Europe as the land to go to. I've said it before but the crises will only end when Europe says "no".

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Merkel winning the Time person of the year for how she dealt with the refugee crisis is a bit of a joke. Open the doors, then close them, then give Turkey money to stop them coming in. Refugees won't stay in Turkey, though I am sure Turkey will find a use for the money if not to 'pay' staff and admin to organize things.

If there are conditions on how the money is spent, it would be wiser, but we all know books can be fiddled. It is down to trust, and Turkey can't be trusted, the government at least.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I don't think any country that is predominantly Muslim can be trusted when it comes to the refugee situation. Turkey as done nothing but try and stand in the way if the west fighting ISIS and to give them so much money and asking them to help is the latest in a long line of foolish proposals that Merkel is responsible for.

5. anders

anders Well-Known Member

There is a global conspiracy to flood predominately white countries with as many non-white residents as possible. Why the elites would want to do this is anyone's guess, but as has already been pointed out here, why would a moslem "asylum" seeker not seek refuge in a fellow moslem country as opposed to a non-moslem country? The true answer to this question might be rather disturbing.....

6. petesede

petesede Guest

Seriously, for people who understand the situation, Turkey really is a fascinating thing to watch at this point in History. It is also built upon the usual set of circumstances where we try to take the lesser of two evils. We knew all the problems with Turkey, but because of Russia, we let Turkey into Nato. Now it appears ( to me at least ) that Turkey is more aligned with ISIS then they are with NATO... and because of this, we are going to end up watching Russia control Turkey within a year or two, and there will be little we can do because the ´people´ are going to hear about turkey helping ISIS and that will be the end of any politicial willpower to protect Turkey.

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

This is why I get annoyed at the EU. They called upon Turkey to close the borders with Syria and they haven't. Recently with the story of the three school girls who left the UK to go to join IS in Syria, the blame was on Turkey as they flew there and got a bus over without any real checks. Two were 15 years old, which is why the police did get involved. A BBC journalist followed their footsteps and was able to buy a bus ticket to get to Syria with no checks. Clearly they are 'aiding' IS in many ways by allowing people to get to Syria to join, and terrorists to escape. Not really a team player.

8. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Well there was a story about a week ago saying how Turkey was going to establish a base in Qatar so it can face it's "common enemies". Seems a little coincidental how it's announced shortly after they get a 3bn check...