Can We Agree? Babies Dying in Hot Cars

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Kate, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I had no idea it was this widespread, how can people be so stupid?
    There really is no other word for this, it's not just being negligent or careless, it's being completely stupid!

2. wulfman

wulfman Guest

19 cases in one summer ?! In one country ? Don't know why we study history in school. Most idiots don't learn from it.

3. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Yeah... it really goes beyond comprehension, mn1989. And it even goes beyond recognizing the child is there... because you would have just PUT them there a short time before. Even if it's an hour's commute and assuming your sitter or daycare was near work, you still just put that baby in the car a short time before.

And face it, not many people have a 1 hour commute in a situation where a child is taken all that way and not dropped off somewhere first.

If a "normal" commute is 15 or 20 minutes (many are much shorter) then what on earth is taking over the brain/memory cells of people? What would make someone remember to grab the cell phone from the car but not the baby you strapped in 10 minutes before?

Surreal. :(

4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

People get so stupid because no one wants to use his or her brain anymore. Babies and kids on the back seat are the real victims here not the parents.

5. straightallies

straightallies Member

You know, I never considered that people might do it on purpose. I've heard of people doing this to dogs because they didn't know any better. I can't really imagine leaving a baby in a car alone. It's just so sad and needless.

6. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Sometimes, although it's horrifying, people have done this as a copycat crime because they thought they could get away with it.

But then some just get downright stupid... like the guy who did this to his little boy after searching on his computer how long it takes a child to die in a hot car. And another search on living childless. I mean REALLY?! He didn't consider that if there'd be a death, the police would be checking things like that out?

Remember on the old David Letterman shows, they did "stupid pet tricks?" This would have to be classified as "stupid people tricks", yes? :D

7. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

8. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Wow. :mad: Thank you for posting that, @Strykstar . I'd heard this story, but only part of it... and then forgot to follow up on it.

What I'd heard was that family members were trying to say they would be attacked in the media because of the lifestyle and being a gay couple. While that's a real possibility in many circumstances, using that as an excuse to indicate that taking children to pick up drugs from a dealer and... well not even *naming* a baby after 10 months... well those things have nothing at *all* to do with the orientation of the parents!

Driving under the influence of marijuana? With a baby in the car? Needing a TV show to remind you that your child is in the car? I mean where did they think she *was* while they were smoking and eating that pizza? Oy! :mad: (Two mad face icons in the same post.. new record for me!)

9. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

wtf, so the guy was watching TV and recalled his kid was in the car??? That guy really needs to be locked up, but the harm is done now... :(

10. straightallies

straightallies Member

That is just appalling! How can anyone do such a terrible thing to an infant? The world is a sad, scary place.