Can you get a Real Estate Sales Agent licence in the US,Canada or UK if you aren't a citizen?

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Investor, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

Hello all, thank you again for stopping by to chat with me and exchange useful information for the betterment of lives :) I have a burning question which you all by now know, "Can you get a Real Estate Sales Agent licence in the US,Canada or UK if you aren't a citizen?" Is it possible to just attend a school,or do an online course, pass the exam and get certified in your areas to start practicing? what does it take? thanks for the answers guys! One love!:cool::cool:

2. troutski

troutski Guest

I highly doubt that non-citizens can become real estate agents in any of the countries you've mentioned. It wouldn't make sense for those countries to make non-citizens legally available as real estate agents, to be honest. You definitely can't do an online course that gets you into real estate as an actual agent.

3. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

I really wish they would but then everyone would be fighting to get a license in every state and country . Can you imagine the market? Can you imagine how that would mess up commissions and real estate firms that aren't established enough to handle the influx of one of their agents going overseas, selling a property in Prague but being based out of Virginia? That would be soo much paperwork on the end of the organization it would give good cause for the Realtor's Association to charge crazy fees and you'd be forced to sell some million dollar home must to make the yearly memebership.

4. workinglady20

workinglady20 Well-Known Member

No you can't get a real estate sales agent license if your not a citizen because that is just the wrong thing to do. It's also not even possible to go to school in person or just online. There are rules that people need to follow if they want to be a real estate agent. Everyone should be a citizen and if they are not then it's very important to become a citizen as soon as possible.

5. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

Okay guys, I have read your comments, and the gist of what I'm learning is that the answer is "no", a person cannot obtain a Real Estate Licence to practice in the US,Canada or UK without being a citizen, but, all I can pick up from the comments are personal opinions, where are the facts? where are the Laws pertaining to this type of situation?

6. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

No One Said Anything About Homework! Lol. Although you do offer a good point. I find myself completely hooked on the HGTV show Property Brothers and I know the brothers on the show have real estate licenses in Canada and the US, so it does bring some question to mind if they brokered thier property in Greece since they are trying to obtain the licenses and rights to be able to provide real estate/ renovation assistance all over the place. I would love to know if you can just pay one large fee and just get it done or if it requires me to do the testing every couple years with a reinstatement process like the process here in Virginia.

7. gats

gats Senior Investor

You will probably need a work visa since it is a job. You may be able to remotely promote properties over the phone or internet, but it won't be the same really.

8. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

Unless you have a working permit or you are a permanent resident , I do not think it will be possible.