Can You Rent a House To Someone With a Criminal Record?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, May 25, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Being able to pick and choose your tenant is certainly the preferred option but even then, in some cities the type if people you get might not be exactly what you want. At the end of the day, it's probably better to have any tenant than to have a properly sitting empty.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd rather a property be empty for a while than have a child molester, rapist, or worse living there. Besides the obvious harm they can do to others, there's all sorts of huge liability risks there if they're doing these things on and around your property you rented to them. Plus I wouldn't want it on my conscience if they ended up molesting or raping (or worse) any neighbors or their children.

Could you imagine having given John Wayne Gacy a "second chance" by renting to him after he got out of prison the first time for raping young boys, only to find out that he'd buried bodies of other victims under your property after you rented to him despite knowing of his history?

I know that's an extreme example, but past behavior is very often a very good predictor of future behavior.

3. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

The law is something complicated and we don't know all about it, so the simpler we make it the better. A simple contract in written and that's it, no need to make up anything else.