Canadian Supreme Court; Obese Have Right To Two Airplane Seats

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I think if they are classed as 'disabled' then it should be allowed because they come under the special needs passengers and so people will then have to decide to be registered as such. Then they will have to be wheelchaired to the plane and off. I do think the airlines can work around this and makes sure people don't take advantage of this ruling, but I think they should carry on appealing. A company should not be forced to give preferential treatment without just cause, unless they choose to do so.

2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

If they are classified as a disabled person then I do not have a problem with that and would be the first in line to agree with the two seat decision, however if it's not an actual disability and are just registered that way through their own actions then I really think something needs to be done about that. Sadly though the term "disability" might cover all with the same brush.

3. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

People seem to think airlines are rich.
    They are not, it's one business that profits are low or non-existent.
    This is just going to make it more difficult for airlines, and their investors.

4. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

It makes me sad to think about that because it has to be humiliating. I think it's nice that they offer that option to people who need it. A lot of obese people end up getting kicked off of planes for this and that's wrong.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

It's not wrong, you buy a seat and you can't fit on it... too bad. Buy a second one then with your own money. It's not like the hamburgers fell into their mouth when they were sleeping. What is wrong is the airlines having to sell their seats for -50% to fat people. If they choose to do so out of their own free will then that's a whole different story but forcing them is just plain wrong, not to mention the economic impacts it could have on the already struggling industry.