Cannabis Conundrum

Discussion in 'Penny Stocks' started by GottStock, Apr 2, 2014.

1. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

Up in Canada I'm invested in a company called Tweed. Naturally, I only have a small stake and realize there is a high level of volatility, but in any case it's certainly one of those stocks to surprise you (for better or worse).
    https://www.google.ca/finance?q=CVE:TWD&ei=4lSfU6jaI4v-iQK_zoGIAw

Right now, I've been following their story and it really seems like their inexperience in the field, plus heavy government regulations are making it difficult. They really need to expand fast as they often sell out of product within hours of it being available. It's reached a point where they actually have to turn down new customers from signing up.

I don't expect much from them any time soon, but down the road you never know.

2. Thehick

Thehick Member

States may legalize marijuana, but it is still illegal under federal law. At this time, the federal govt chooses not to enforce those laws in states which have legalized. However, a bank which accepted a deposit from or provided a business credit card to a store which legally sold marijuana would be guilty under the federal money laundered and RICO laws. So that limits the legal commerce in marijuana.

3. JaydonTyler

JaydonTyler Well-Known Member

Until its not an up in the air situation, its not a good investment. Actually, its nothing more then a gamble. People have been talking about the legalization of marijuana for decades and even though we are seeing some positive results, it's not anything set in stone at the moment.

4. pot_star

pot_star Member

I agree with JaydonTyler. Marijuana legalization has a constant love-hate relationship with the public and scpecially the government. It's to risky to invest in these types on stocks. But I'll still wait, who knows maybe in the next few years they'll legalize it nationally and when that happens? I'll definately invest on it!

5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

A national legalization might be hard to happen, but slowly and state by state I think that's the natural course that it will follow.

6. cmiller

cmiller Active Member

Agreed it may be smart to do it now this is a very interesting subject.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

LOL, what are you saying really cmiller?

Cannabis is a "dear" topic to most of the youth and that is why it is becoming an attractive investment as well. Also, it's therapeutic side makes it more attractive as well.

8. Annabell

Annabell Well-Known Member

I think you might want to put a little into straight up canabis investments, while looking more into investments from things surrounding the growth and production of canabis, if you see what I mean?

9. JaydonTyler

JaydonTyler Well-Known Member

I am looking more and more into this. I see some opportunities. The only problem I have is that a lot of "legal" grow ops can be shut down at any time as they have been. They arent legal on a Federal level, but the Federal gov't looks the other way for the most part.

It's an interesting topic. They are legal, but at the same time they are not.

10. uggonen

uggonen Well-Known Member

I haven't even thought about this. So government has the right to close these up any time? Wow, that sucks.. In that case I wouldn't invest into the cannabis stocks...