Carson Threatens To Leave GOP

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Carson becomes the second Republican candidate to issue the threat that he'd leave the GOP if . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/11/politics/ben-carson-donald-trump-leave-republican-party-threat/
    This comes after the Washington Post reported that Republican Party officials discussed the possibility of deal-making to decide who will be the Republicans presidential candidate if no candidate secures enough delegates to win the nomination. It surprises me that Carson still does believe he stands a chance to get the nomination.

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I would have been surprised if they hadn't considered a deal making meeting, because that's what politicians do. Trump want to leave for other reasons, or maybe if he knows he will get pushed out, although there is a deal he won't run as an independent. However, all deals can be twisted and amended it seems.

The party isn't united in what the candidates stand for, and the party hasn't indicated who is really a viable candidate versus a popular vote. As each week passes, new scandals hit the party; it keeps them in the media, but for the right reasons?

3. turt

turt Guest

Considering he doesn't have a huge following, I don't think the fact that he runs independent will really hurt the Republican party. However, Trump is a different story...

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Consider it seems to be the liberal sources CNN and the Washington Post that are the early stirrers of the pot suggesting the Republicans are considering a brokered convention. I don't give much credence to talk of such drastic action so early in the game. I can believe that some of the inside Washington Republican candidates are frustrated with much of their campaign money spent and very little to show for it except low single-digit poll numbers. GOP Chairman Reince Priebus has to listen to the whining; it is his job. It may well be the time for those polling less than, say, 5% (pick a number) to get out. If I were Priebus, I would tell them to put on their big boy pants (skirts) and maybe have a gathering of the clan after Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. Even then, talk of a brokered convention is too drastic and too soon. Convention planks' strategies should be the topic of discussion, not political dealmaking. After all, the goal is to win the White House and retain veto-proof control of the Senate and House as first steps to fixing the current mess. Forward ho...

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree that the liberal media cannot be trusted.

With that said, the establishment needs to accept the rules and live by them. If they want to win the nomination, they need to find someone who will do so.

It's been said by more than one person that the establishment Republicans have more in common with the Dems than they do with the non-establishment wing of their own party - mainly the preservation of the current big government system that pays them a nice 6 figure salary and handsome benefits for life (without any sort of term limits), and allows them to live collectively as the all-powerful, elite ruling class of the country.

I was personally overjoyed when Dave Brat defeated Eric Cantor - hopefully we'll see more non-establishment Republicans take seats from useless RINO's in the future. I'd like to see McConnell replaced by some new Republican blood for starters.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  6. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Amen on disposing of McConnell and the RINOs. Priebus has to do his job and get everyone rowing in sync. Enough with the current feckless transformational leadership and the prospect of another 4/8 years of progressive pap. The USA is derided around the world. I'm even hearing some derision in some of the BBC World Service radio programs available on shortwave radio, TuneIn, and SiriusXM. That's pretty bad when our staunchest ally comments on our mess. Tally-ho.

7. petesede

petesede Guest

it is interesting, I said all along that Bush will get the nomination, and I still think that is true. I don´t think the establishment can appoint him, but they are going to pressure all those 3-5% guys to drop out and endorse him. Trump is maxed, he is never going to go above 25%ish, and it doesn´t matter if there are 3 candidates or 20. He only looks like the front-runner because there are so many people in it now that are splitting the establishement vote.

It doesn´t matter though, Hillary is going to be the next President. Trump has dictated the issues the last 3 months. You don´t hear anything about job creation or balancing the budget.. all you hear about is Mexico building a wall for us and Muslims being kicked out of planes. Even if they can get a moderate, sane Republican the nomination, the Republican Party has already been painted into an electoral map corner.

8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Ben Carson...

...or, as I like to call him, Dr. Mumbles.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

The boat is beginning to show cracks. However, who is Carson in terms of voters? I guess he has a small following, a negligible number when it comes to the elections. But the reason he is backing out of the Republican party is the popularity of Donald Trump. It seems that Trump is hated by politicians maybe because of his frankness and sometimes tactless pronouncements. And if those politicians would have their way, they want Trump out of the picture - Democrats and Republicans alike.

10. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

It's well known that people jump from one party to another. Trump was a Democrat 2001-09, and was independent in 2011 before becoming a Republican in 2012. Party lines change and so do the candidates. In history previous Presidents have jumped from one party to another before, and I doubt it will stop.