Carson Wants Abortion Outlawed In All Circumstances

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Ben Carson hasn't learned anything from his gaffes. His remarks seem to prove that he knows he won't get the GOP nomination so why not, as long as he can gets the media attention now, try to promote his cause? The GOP should demand he shuts up because his inanity is going to cost the party. Oh, but it's rather early, alienated voters can be lured back after the presidential candidate is nominated, right?

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...or-ban-on-abortion-in-all-circumstances/?_r=0
    The Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson said Sunday that he believed that abortion should be outlawed even in cases of rape and incest, comparing the procedure with slavery.

“I would not be in favor of killing a baby because the baby came about in that way,” Mr. Carson said on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” citing “the many stories of people who have led very useful lives who were the result of rape or incest.”

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Politically, the abortion topic is a "third rail". He'd be wise to stay away from it and other social issues. Otherwise the press is going to have a field day with these kinds of statements.

3. Bearspater

Bearspater New Member

4. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

So let's get this straight. Carson believes that women who become pregnant as a result of rape and incest should be FORCED to go through with the pregnancy? It's a good job he's not touting for votes anymore because statements like this sure ain't going to help.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I would be very careful with anything from places like the NY Times. The liberal media loves to take things out of context that are spoken by or pertaining to Republican politicians and candidates. Carson in particular seems to be a target for this.

Of course he has said some things that I think are politically unwise, but the media has definitely taken him way out of context on other things he's said. He's a very successful, highly educated, wealthy black Republican who came from poverty - he's the thing the left fear the most and want to destroy.

But any actual stance taken on abortions needing to be totally illegal regardless of the circumstances is political suicide IMO. It was part of Walker's problem, and would also be a problem for an otherwise highly electable Rubio IMO.

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I don't know why some candidates insist on stepping into unnecessary controversy. It does nothing to help their cause. While I believe Carson is sincere in his belief that all abortions should be illegal, he should know it's a smart thing to say politically. The conventional conservative position is to be against all abortions, EXCEPT in cases of rape or incest. Bush got elected running on this platform, and it's the position of most state wide candidates in competitive states. People don't have a problem voting for pro life candidates, but they tend to shun those too far to the left or right on the issue.

7. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I will give him credit for speaking up and being honest with his opinion and to the people because but most politicians aren't!

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The left msm usually goes straight for these "wedge issues" (and don't get off of them) with every Republican they interview in order to try to make them look as foolish as possible. And unfortunately many of them take the bait.

9. greybird29

greybird29 Member

Ben Carson comparing abortion to slavery is like comparing x-lax to fine chocolate. He might just as well have used a sledge hammer to nail his presidential coffin shut with solid steel stakes.
    Many folks have various strong opinions about abortion it seems there are very few on the middle of the bridge. Some are totally against it and want to protect the helpless unborn child in all circumstances; no exception. Others feel it is a choice for the living humans involved. Many feel it is beneficial to sell the aborted remains for research and “to support a good cause".
    Most folks are steadfast and strong in their belief and there is no changing their mind in anyway, how, form or fashion.
    Ben Carson stated that he wanted to overturn Roe V Wade, in my personal opinion that will never happen.

10. petesede

petesede Guest

I do not agree with him, but I respect him for what he said.

If you believe that abortion is murdering a child, then how can you believe it is ok because someone else committed rape? It is a no-win topic but his logic is sound. The child did nothing, why should it get a death sentence because the father committed rape. The irony is on the side of the Democrats.. If ´we´ wanted to kill the father for rape, they would go crazy about the death penalty, but they are fine with the baby dying for the sin of the father.

Me, I choose to believe that a fetus isn´t a human until it is born, it saves me all the political nightmares and tightrope walking. Also less child support (JK)