Challenging Politicians

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Jul 24, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

Is it always important to challenge politicians on laws they propose? Will it ever yield any type of result, especially in recent times as politicians do not seem to answer to their electorate but to elite interest groups. However, challenging proposed laws bring about a review stage in which flaws can be found. It is our right as citizens to be informed at all times and it is our duty to participate in our own governing. The challenge is of great significance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. turt

turt Guest

Yes, but as you said, it's not easy to do. Most of the things they do are never common knowledge to the public. Everyone should know but I doubt a lot of people would pay attention still.

3. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I agree with you, most politicians will promise the moon to the voters before they go for elections. These politicians will be available to the voters until they find a position in the house of power. They will do very little for the people who voted for them, they will not even return to their ward until they need their votes again. Making them accountable will require a lot of persistence.

4. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

If not even the President can challenge the Congress how can we do anything? It's a giant, it's a huge thing to face and to be honest I would not know where to start.

5. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I think that the power to challenge the laws should be an essential part of our political process.
    Quite often politicians implement laws which doesn't affect them at all but affects people in way they don't even fully comprehend and the people are the ones who should bring those cases to attention.

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Yes, it's always important to challenge politicians when they are wrong on the issues. I think it's important to be as informed you can be and stand your ground on the issues you believe strongly about. I don't however advocate being a mindless rebel against politicians. If you are spouting off uninformed and wrong information to state your case, I believe you should be called out on that. But by all means read up on the issues so you can go to toe to toe with the politicians who pass the laws of our land. An informed citizenry is a very useful tool to defeating tyranny.

7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

Challenging politicians is a good and great idea, but the same politicians are only friendly to us before they receive our votes, but once we vote them into the government they become unreacheable, all over a sudden they change and we can no longer reach them or question them regarding all the false promises they gave us.

8. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I think that we as a society should indeed rise up an challenge their decisions, but it seems that we are numb and don't react to anything.

9. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, it seems like people are completely apathetic to the decisions of their politicians and we really need to get more involved, otherwise they just do whatever is best for them and their friends.

10. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

True, they are corrupt, the don't respect the law and we just sit back an see our wages being cut, what a complete nonsense.