Charge Storage Fees?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

When a tenant moves out without notifying you but leaves behind some of their stuff and you store it somewhere until they come back for [whatever it is they left behind] should you charge them storage fees or have them pay the pre-agreed monthly rent for all the months they've been away? Which of the two would be better?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

They will never accept paying the rent for the months that they haven't been there.
    It depends on what is legal and what is not, but if someone leaves without any notice then to me that is them causing me trouble by being idiots... so all their stuff goes to the closest flea market, homeless shelter.. or just on the street with "take it if you want it" signs.

3. Sandra

Sandra Active Member

I think it would be a better idea to charge a suitable storage fee especially since they did not notify you. However, you could still use your discretion based on the circumstances why they had to leave and the nature of the things that they left. It also can depend on the type of relationship you had with the tenant before. If the tenant was excellent all along, then you could decide to only charge a minor fee or if you choose to, no fee at all. It all depends on the situation.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

A landlord should definitely charge the leaving tenant for still occupying the place. How can you rent it out ot another tenant when the place is not completely vacated? It is not all right to rent an apartment with one room serving as storage for the previous tenant. No, we would not agree to that arrangement. Besides, superstition tells us that having old things of other people should not be there for it is unhealthy to the mind and body - in other words, it is bad luck.

5. Kicker774

Kicker774 Well-Known Member

This gives the average joe something to think about and perhaps add to their rental agreements.

Loose verbage would go something like:

Of course it depends on the situation. Have they been a solid renter for the past few years? I'll give them some leeway. There's likely going to be some turnover time in between renters where your going to need to do a deep clean anyways.

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

This is what I would do! They left without notice so why is it your responsibility to take care of their stuff? If they really wanted it they would have taken it with them when the left. Who says that they are ever going to come get their stuff and at what point do you stop paying their storage fees?

7. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

The material left after the end of the lease without prior agreement is abandoned, although it would be wise to allow a few days leeway. You cannot charge to store it without a new contract to that effect, not can you sell it. But you can throw it away and could deduct the costs associated with this from the bond deposit.