Chicago Protests

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

What do you all think of the protests that happened the other day that caused Trump to have to cancel his rally in Chicago? I think it is an example of times to come if he were ever to be elected president. I think that this would divide our country in half, more than it already is. What are your thoughts?

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Yes, it would be a horrible thing if Trump were elected President. I have to laugh when he says he is a uniter. I mean with his rhetoric!! You have to be kidding me. He would be lucky not to get us into World War III. I mean this whole "Islam hates us" and all that stuff. Sadly, probably more than half the people in this country think that. So, there you go. The things that come out of his mouth, are just so irresponsible, and he waffles and changes all the time. He is no different from anyone else trying to get elected. I have never seen anything like this Trump guy. He is a national nightmare in my humble opinion.

3. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

It sounds like a fair statement. I am not there to see it and it is not my country but if a protest is so serious and big that a rally had to be cancelled it should be something to worry Trump. I believe that you are able to judge justly on this matter and I also think that ths guy will not care if his election will split the country. Maybe that is the point?

4. rz3300

rz3300 Guest

That does just seem to be the kinds of things that we are going to have to look forward to if this man makes it farther into the election and has the chance of actually being our President, which I am still holding out hope that it just cannot happen. I have too much faith in our people to do that. It will certainly be an ugly road ahead with much of the same I am assuming.

5. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Honestly I feel like while Trump is partially to blame, due to some of his more indelicate statements and overall demeanor, I lay this furor mostly at the feet of the mainstream media, which has seen fit to distort and misrepresent the man in any way that it can.

Stefan Molyneux has done a great video series wherein he debunks all the myths that have emerged around the Trump campaign. I was going to write that it's shocking that the media, both Left and Right, could so flagrantly dishonest, but at this point I really shouldn't be shocked at all.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The fact is that even though it looks as if Trump will win his campaign to be put forward as the next president, he does still divide opinion and this can only be bad for America.

If by chance he gets in to the Whitehouse, the people that are against him now won't all of a sudden change their minds, so I think wherever he goes he's going to be facing a backlash.

7. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well, the thing is that you can hear from the soundbites and the debates what the man is saying. The media isn't putting words in his mouth. Trump does that to himself. Maybe they do show the bad parts, and little of the good, but he seems to have like 5 things he says, with nothing to back it up, and that is about it. I mean people used to talk about drinking the Obama Koolaid, I think too many people have drunk the Trump koolaid. This is not a good guy.

8. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

He did not "have" to cancel. People have the right to protest. Trump has the funds to arrange security for his events. I think he just knew who would make more compelling statements for the media if he shared the spotlight with the Chicago social justice movements. Illinois elected in a Governer who is essentially Trump-Lite, and the people here have seen how that goes when you have real problems social and economic. Which is to say, the ongoing downtown Chicago experience of going to hell in a handcart.

9. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Trump would have been damned if he did, and damned if he didn't. If he had gone on with the rally and there had been serious injuries, among either his supporters or his detractors, it would have made major headlines. Now that he canceled you're accusing him of playing the media.

If he's holding a rally, it isn't about the "social justice movements", it is about DONALD TRUMP and his supporters. Unlike Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton, he refuses to let his events get hi-jacked.

10. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Frankly, I am disgusted by it. It is the kind of intimidation nonsense shouldn't be happening here. No candidate, from any party, should have their right to speak shut down by disorderly crowd. I can understand the Trump is a bombastic, to put it mildly, but him having to cancel on the advice of law enforcement says something about who is protesting his events.