China to set up miltary presence in Horn of Africa

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Nov 28, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

http://china.org.cn/video/2015-11/27/content_37177909.htm

Rumored in foreign news sources, Chinsee media is now reporting the Chinese government is negotiating with Djibouti's government for the establishment of a military base that would include support of more than 60 navel vessels.

Frankly, I see it as providing China a good launch point for military action against IS/ISIS/ISIL/Daesh in retaliation for the execution of the Chinese citizen.

The new Chinese military base would be their first in Africa. Adjacent to existing installations of France and the USA, undoubtedly there will be intrigue.

Why are there so many military bases in Djibouti? The answer is location, location, location -- http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33115502 -- per the BBC analysis.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Hmmm well if they can be a help that is good. I guess they would be unlikely to take aim at their best trading buddy the US..would they??? I trust the Chinese about as much as I trust Putin. At least they aren't insane like the North Korean loony.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

It looks like ISIS/ISIL has managed to torque off all the big players (e.g., Brits, French, Russians, Chinese, Iranians, et al.) and they are about to reap what they've sown. Getting parked on the horn of African would give the Chinese both a staging ground for such attacks and create a military presence in the Gulf of Aden. It is too bad our own government can't get it together to find a way to wipe these monsters off the face of the planet, but I digress.

4. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

China has to protect its business interests. It's spent a hell of a lot of money over the last decade or so investing in the resource-rich countries on the continent, essentially to secure access to resources and markets for their products in the future. The gradual courting of Africa by China has been a story that the American authorities have certainly been keeping a keen eye on.

Yes, it can be tied in easily with the ISIL narrative at the moment, but there's no doubt that a presence there is about more than the terrorism story that we're experiencing.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yeah looks a lot more like protecting their economic interests than anything to do with isis.

If this happens it will be interesting to see how much cooperation there will be between the Chinese and the french/Americans.

6. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

The Chinese government has been setting up a lot of ports, military presence and building up bases lately and not just in Africa. In the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) they've been illegally setting base in the Spratlys Islands and Scarborough shoal that goes against UN international border laws and such. They're mining the island and making their presence felt against other Asian countries including Japan, Philippines and Vietnam who are challenging their mandate. They aren't agreeing to bilateral talks with the US and Philippines during the APEC summit.

7. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

If they are basing themselves there with the aim of attacking ISIS then it's a great military move and if there are alliances with Russian and French forces already there then it shows a united front against them. However if it's purely a strategic move then it might cause problems for other Western nations.

Will be interesting to see how this develops.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Just to be clear, it was just me thinking out loud that the new base is strategically located to go after IS/ISIS/ISIL/Daesh. I haven't seen anything in media to suggest Chinese military will actually do so.

9. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

China is vying for the wealth of resources sitting underneath the continent. Saddening that the Africans themselves are, quite literally, sitting on a gold mine, and yet don't really control it. Africa could be a prosperous continent potentially, but alas...

10. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Wishful thinking but maybe China going in there can turn things around slightly. Might make some of the countries on the continent realise they have a chance and use it.