China to set up miltary presence in Horn of Africa

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Nov 28, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The trouble with China is they often wait until the eyes of the world are focused on other matters before they make any moves, and the moves they make are usually to benefit themselves rather than anybody else.

While the worlds attention is on ISIS, China have casually announced this and not many people have taken notice. It makes me wonder what move China will be making next.

2. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

What's sad is that they won't protect attacks against some places. They're picky about who they help which is ridiculous but also expected.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Nissi, who are you referring to as "they"?

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I doubt that they [China] will be joining the fight against ISIS. Ever. China has invested heavily in Africa and like some of the others who've said China is more interested in protecting their economic interests in Africa I'll say this is what they want.

http://africasacountry.com/2015/05/what-does-it-mean-that-china-has-a-military-base-in-djibouti/
    Viewed from a more pragmatic perspective, China has increasing numbers of investments and nationals abroad to protect, and setting up a navy base in Djibouti to promote safe trade routes does not contradict China’s principals of foreign policy conduct.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The only way that I think China will get involved in any sort of military campaign against IS, is if they are the target of an attack, and while IS are willing to take on certain western countries, I don't think they're stupid enough to drag China into it.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I agree with this. China has very little to do with ISIS at the moment. They do have economic interest not only in Africa but especially on the oceans around the area. Don't forget that Somali piracy used to be a big threat in the area (and certain pirate groups are still active) and with ISIS roaming around not too far from there (countries such as Yemen and Egypt have access to the Red Sea) the shipping lane from China to Europe could definitely use some protection.