China's president in Washington

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Well, the president of China landed here in WA state this morning for a 3 day visit. Roads were closed and everything else upon his arrival. I heard that they are even closing all the roads down surrounding the hotel he will be staying at. He wanted to tour the Seattle area since we do a lot of business with China. How would you feel if he visited your state?

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

hmmm, I think I would be more interested in seeing the pope. I don't trust China, and I don't think they trust us, so I don't see why I would want to visit with the President of China. It is interesting the President of China is on the West coats and the pope is on the East Coast. That goes to show you, I did not even know the Chinese President was visting. I had not heard anything about it on the news. I guess they think his visiting is a security risk, why else would they have closed the roads?

3. Kicker774

Kicker774 Well-Known Member

I live in Ohio. The state that has voted in every single president and therefore every single presidential candidate wants to come visit.

Here in Columbus Joe Biden spoke at a school on the North East side of town then at rush hour decided to take a trip to the center of downtown for some ice cream.

The entire path was blocked off. Many overpasses were blocked off cutting people off from the entire east side.

My typical commute was 30 mins max at the time. It turned into 3 fricken hours just because Biden wanted to kibitz with our city mayor over some ice cream.

He came and spoke again at OSU just the other week. I was fortunate enough to be up on the north side working but it sounded like the same ordeal all over again.
    Hillary came recently but had an event but was in and out between the rush hours so I wasn't effected there either.

Regardless I'm not looking forward to the coming year.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

The APEC (Asia Pacific Economic Conference) will be held here in the Philippines in November. At this early, the organizers are already deep in work for the preparation. The public is not much concerned although we are hopeful that the visit of foreign leaders would help spur our economy. Somehow talks by the nation's leaders have come up to something positive. So I guess that Chinese Premiere's visit will do some good to the US and probably to China as well.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

The Chinese presidents arrival to Seattle was not announced until last minute for security concerns, but I guess his next stop was to DC to meet with Obama and others. I would have been excited if the pope came to Seattle as he is an honorable man who really cares about people.

The news was making a huge deal because China purchased 300 planes from us while he was here, but look how much money us ordinary people lost because of sitting in traffic when they decided to pass the motorcade through during peak traffic hours! Some people work for hourly wages and could not get to work!

6. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

His visit will seem harmless but the political and financial stance of his party that defies certain International laws will certainly cause some conflict. Right now China has more military firepower than Japan and some European countries, their only competitor in this regard is the United States. I really don't know what I'd feel if China's president came to my city, I hope he'd pull out all the Chinese navy from contested islands in Asia.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

It seems strange how on a political level we always appear to be at loggerheads and on the brink of war, and then a month later the leaders of these countries are coming on visits and pictured shaking hands with everybody that matters.

It make me wonder what is actually going on and are these leaders just feathering their own nests and even though the countries might not be on the best of terms, it seems like the leaders certainly are.

8. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Considering what China routinely does to this country is, at best, economically disadvantageous to us and, at worst, an act of war, I think it is disgusting he's being received by our leadership. I don't think we should end trade with China, but the nonsense involving currency manipulation, cyber attacks, brazen intellectual property theft, and hostility to our allies in the Pacific needs to stop and stop now.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  9. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I was not paying close attention to the Noon press conference, but mention of an "agreement to cease cyber spying" or words to that effect perked up my attention. Sounds good, right? Later, in the evening, something else I read or watched dropped in the adjective "economic." So much for cooperation. No mention of "miltary" as a modifier, so I assume the stocks of cyber security firms will continue to be of interest to investors as our military and government continue to fend off the bad guys. Oh well.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I must admit I am happy to say that I missed the press conference, and have been lucky enough to have also missed the news headlines on this story.

There's more important things going on in the world than having to sit and watch them lot scratch each other's backs.