Chinese Stocks

Discussion in 'Trade Journals & Stock Tips' started by Wise_Turtle, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Wise_Turtle

Wise_Turtle Guest

I've been investing in Chinese stocks (mainly tech / internet) for several years now and I'm wondering what the people on this board tend to think about them. I've spent a lot of time researching NQ Mobile (NQ) and DANG and have held RENN, BIDU, SINA and a few others at one time.

2. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I haven't had any experience with Chinese stocks, but you piqued my interest when you said you've been doing it for several years now, how have your results been?

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I've got a large position in BIDU. I also recently got back into CEO after some time out of it.

I've owned small positions in more speculative companies that I've tended to hold for a little while, get out after a while, and get back in from time to time.

I've also lost money on one that went down due to accounting fraud - China Northeast Petroleum. They looked awesome on paper, even had a deal with Petro China. But they were cookin' the books. Be careful.

4. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

I've never invested in any of their stocks. So, this is mostly an uneducated opinion...

I think it can be a prosperous investment if you are wise about it. China is on a huge growth spurt when it comes to commerce. They are really pushing their way through. They are cornering the market in Africa and even went as far to create Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) several years ago. They are taking Africa over so much, the American government is running scared. So, there's really great potential there right now. I only have 2 minor concerns, the failing economies around the world and the fact that China is so closed. It's easier to hear what's going on with American businesses and get subtle insider hints than it is for Chinese businesses. But that's just my outsiders opinion. :)

5. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

I have never been interested in chinese stalks at all, but it seems it should be something that I should be interested in.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

There tends to be a lack of transparency, regs, and quality controls in China. They've also slowed down somewhat in the last few years. Some have said that they believe China will face its own crisis sooner or later - I guess it will eventually, as all countries do sooner or later.

7. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what concerns me. I think stocks everywhere are a risk today. There's just too much turmoil and no one knows what sector will be hit next. I just read an article that Russia is banning American food import in retaliation to the sanctions placed on them. This will in the end result in loss for American farmers and thus American food companies.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/russ...n-retaliation-to-western-sanctions-1407403035

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014