Churches Losing Power in South USA

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Jason76, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I think the reason why fewer people identify is a Christians or religious is because they are disillusioned with it all. They've heard enough of preachers deceiving people so they can enrich themselves, they've had enough of scandals involving people who are supposed to be great role models. There's also the hypocrisy of church-goers which is quite off-putting . . .

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

In smaller rural areas churches are still the main meeting place for people, and where war memorials are held and services are held when there are national incidents. Politics has taken over from religion, because religion established many communities historically, and now politics rules, where the church takes a back seat. People do get worried about cults too, so some prefer to keep a distance and no one can blame them.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I suspect that is a part of it. The Roman Catholic Church's massive scandals really rocked the church to it's foundation. There has also been high profile cases of Protestant leadership acting hypocritical (e.g., Ted Haggard, Joshua Duggar, etc.).

I also suspect the wackier anti-science elements of the religious world (e.g., Young Earth Creationists, etc.) have really put off a lot of folks. People like Ray Comfort, Kent Hovind, etc., are beyond embarrassing for the faithful.

4. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I believe the Church isn't losing power it just happens that people are regionalizing the religion, making it their own such that a dominating power is localized. Even then this only happens in big cities because in rural areas the Catholic and Christian followings are still very strong-- strong to the point of cultish even if you ask me.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

This is true for other countries. My husband lived in the US for a while and he said that churches there only have a few mass attendees, like at the most, maybe 10. From where I live, mass during Sundays is full of people still. Even malls here hold masses for people. So I guess the decline in people going to church in the USA is because the people there are changing. They might have different priorities, different religions or for other reasons, but going to church isn't one of them.

6. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

As a Black American I find this fascinating; much of the Black population down south is religious. I wonder what cultural shifts this portends....

7. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the replacement of God with booze is such a good thing or not. It is true people have a human need to fellowship, and this need can be met at a local bar or restaurant. It can also be met in a herion den or swinger club.

Note, this might not be welcoming news, considering the lack of American public transit could lead to more drunk driving.

Also, as I saw in South Korea during travels there, if you didn't go to church, you had to go to a bar to socialize, otherwise people though you were weird.

Perhaps church attendance is increasing or staying the same with African Americans and falling with white Americans.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  8. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

It's because people want to live their own way and not hear the truth of God's word. The only churches truly "prospering" in the eyes of men, are those that don't preach the true gospel.