Climate change has gone too far!

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by ScooterBrandon, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I have to agree with this. Obviously what we are chucking up into the atmosphere is not helping but I do think that climate change or global warming is a natural occurrence and a natural cycle the earth and the climates go through, however this time being accelerated by the CO2 emissions.

2. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

It was certainly an attempt at humor but also with a specific intention.
    It's important to understand that our collective actions as humans threatens the very ecosystem that we need to sustain us. Sure the world will be fine, but we will have a very difficult time continuing our civilization if there isn't an ecosystem to support us. Biodiversity is wealth beyond any form of capital we consider valuable now. The species of this planet hold mystery, secrets and answer to things we cannot even imagine.

The hallmark of the Holocene era is human created mass extinction event. It's a well documented phenomenon happening for thousands of years. We have just speed up the process with industry and technology.

This isn't to say I am disparaging progress, I am not. I am wholehearted committed to progress, that our civilization rose from caves to skyscrapers, and are the only lifeforms we know of that has such a grand awareness of reality.

There is hope though, it doesn't have to end this way. Many societies have shown us it's 100% possible to live in harmony with the ecosystem. If we can do that and continue to study the ecosystem I have high hopes for us.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

4. ScooterBrandon

Ah yes Dr. Moore, the "Greenpeace drop out"
    But this isn't just about climate change, this is about ALL the activities that contribute to the desegregation of the ecosystem.
    Sure, a minority of people deny that climate change is man made, but no reasonable person can tell me that dumping tonnes of garbage into our atmosphere will not have any negative effects.

5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Cheer up Scooter, I heard there is supposed to be an Ice age coming in 2020. How we go from climate change to an Ice Age is beyond me. It is just one of those things that people don't seem to understand. It is a strange world we live in these days.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Ige age is a funny concept. By the most accurate description we are still currently in ice age but it's an intergracial period, so a warmer period but we still have permanent ice on both hemispheres. That being said, the climate takes hundreds, thousands of years (normally tens of thousands of years when talking about major things like an ice age) to change dramatically so anyone claiming that we will be in full blown ice age in 2020 has apparently not done his geography classes in primary school.

7. ScooterBrandon

HaHa I am actually quite a cheerful fellow, despite the mountains of ignorant people I have to deal with everyday.
    I have not heard about this ice age, I will look that one up next.

8. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

Say what? I do not believe this. We are witnessing some changes which are, although made by people, natural flow of events. Cause and effect at its best. But beer should be fine, that is not cool at all. In Serbia, we have very good beer and we do not have problems brewing it yet but if that happens here, well, panic, civil war and God knows what else is upon us. Belgium beer is so good. Not like that from Czech republic but still very good. Better than The US beer, that is for sure. I hope they will find a solution. Right now in Serbia climate has changed a lot, and although we do not realize that this warm winter will affect everything. It is a global change and we have to assimilate.

9. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

One thing that is sure to get people's attention is if climate starts messing with their beer! People will get all up in arms about this. Good beer is hard to come by so once you find one that you like you won't stand for it to no longer be in existence! Drink it while you can!! Cheers!!

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Good beer is easy to come by if you live in Europe! :D
    Some of the best come from Belgium but also German and Czech beers are fantastic. Of course other countries have great beers too but those would be my top 3.