Coca-Cola: IRS says $3.3B in back taxes owed

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Kicker774, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Kicker774

Kicker774 Well-Known Member

Copied from USA Today:

I imagine this happens quite often but it will be interesting to see how this plays out with such a big household name.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Tax laws should be amended so companies don't get away with tax evasion. Since it's a U.S company and they are supposed to pay tax on their "worldwide income" [profits made by foreign subsidiaries included] they should pay up the tax owed and shut up. Average Joe's pay their taxes and multinational companies have to pay their taxes too.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

With ~92k pages of tax rules and regulations, perhaps the better thing to do is simplify the tax code for corporations and individuals. Too much interpretation, too confusing.

4. FlyFish998

FlyFish998 Member

I think this is pretty interesting and I applaud the IRS. Corporations (such as Coca-Cola) have been able to expand their companies to various different countries with various different laws. I think a lot of this companies are able to grow even bigger by exploiting tax laws like this. Even worse, so many of our large companies exploit labor laws in other countries. I think it is really disheartening that these companies are able to become overinflated by exploiting all these loopholes by simply placing factories or headquarters in a different location.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yeah these things happen. Not often with such big amounts but hey, big company results in a big amount of $.
    You guys are right, the laws are way too complicated and I think it's absolutely ridiculous that these things take so much time.. we are talking about taxes from 2007 to 2009 here!