Confederate Flag Controversy

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

The flag doesn't bother me, but I understand that history behind it is somewhat rooted in racism. I also understand why people would be offended by it.

My question is why did it take till now for it to become public outrage? Not like the flag suddenly came out of nowhere. Its become the latest liberal social talking point and because they're telling people to be offended by it, they follow that line of thinking without question.

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

It appears like there's a group of people who want to make the flag a symbol of racism. Maybe it's been that all the time which is why the KKK is very much opposed to the idea of the Confederate flag being taken down. According to them the flag is part of "White People's Culture." Which white people? Racists like them?

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Update:

South Carolina will no longer fly the Confederate flag on their statehouse grounds.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/09/us/south-carolina-confederate-battle-flag/
    A victory for for the media. After all that talk about Southern pride and heritage . . . the flag will now have to down.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

When something like this happens people always try and find something to blame. The confederate flag seems to have become the scapegoat to a lot of people, and while I'm no fan of the flag, in fact I'm indifferent to be honest, but banning a flag isn't going to make any difference in my opinion.

5. Dazzoir

Dazzoir New Member

Many brave southerners died, but rarely is a nation formed without a civil war. Can we be sure the American Civil War is over? Don't blame it on a Flag The Carpetbaggers left many scars some of which, have not yet healed.

6. Dazzoir

Dazzoir New Member

Many brave southerners died, but rarely is a nation formed without a civil war. Can we be sure the American Civil War is over? Don't blame it on a Flag The Carpetbaggers left many scars some of which, have not yet healed.

7. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The divisions which exist and the bigotry the flag supposedly symbolized can NEVER be "fixed." I'm not a pessimist but fact is we will always have people who hate others because they are different. Nothing can change that. Not education, not laws. The latter though can help solve or at least "dilute" the problem to a certain extent.

8. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the Confederate flag has always been a representation of oppression and racism. The KKK used this flag as a symbol after the Civil War and it should be well documented of what the Klan stood for and the actions they did by terrorizing blacks in the United States. It's good the flag was removed from South Carolina's State Capitol building but in my opinion, the Charleston Massacre is bigger than the flag. I feel the flag was used as a deliberate distraction against the real reason why 9 nines were taken ... racism. Until this country fully address the demons of racism and what it has done to this country, we will continue to see hate rear it's ugly head.

9. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The Confederate flag does NOT = racism.

And unfortunately there will always be racism, sexism, homophobia, etc, etc as long as there are humans alive. Some people will always dislike those who are different from them, no matter what. It's not something that can be legislated away. People have a right to think and speak as they choose, whether right or wrong - just not a right to act on it.

That Dylann Roof idiot in no way speaks for me or hardly anyone else. I look forward to seeing him get executed.

10. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I can't stand the nationwide PC push brought about by the loon Dylann Roof's wearing of a Confederate flag on a piece of clothing and one sad action. The PC peeps are totally out of hand.

The latest example is occurring in Tennessee. There is a push to desecrate the graves of the Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his wife (read down to the last paragraph), and hide history. Idiocy!

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...s-monday-nathan-bedford-forrest-day/29986377/

What's next? Pave over the Gettysburg battle fields, put up a parking lot and build a shopping mall? When the PC police complete Gettysburg, let's move onto the rest of the battlefields and do some good. Bullfeathers.

Let's wipe the history of the country. Might as well rewrite the history of westward expansion and Indian wars too, and wipe the Little Bighorn Battlefield off the map too. That ought to be a good start.

Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it... or something like that. Stupid people.

I'm mad <trying to keep this clean>. It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.