Conumdrum

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by kgord, Oct 9, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I am going to put my property up for sale in the Spring. I currently have a boarder. He is far from ideal, but he does pay his rent on time every month, does not give me a hard time generally...and can be helpful around the house. This is a rural area, and it is hard to find acceptable tenants. He knows that I want to sell the property...however, if it does not sell for an acceptable price, I am still going to need a tenant. Should I allow him to live here while the house is being shown as long as he keeps it neat?? I mean I will be here...I mean I do need to give him a 30 day notice anyway...I am kind of tired of this guy...but I am afraid I would not be able to find anyone better..I guess I don't want him leaving and then me being unable to sell the house, and not being able to find an acceptable tentant. I guess I should just let him know the house is on the market when it happens...and I will make every effort to give him a 30 days notice when it is sold. ????? feedback?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I am sorry for the title misspell, I wasn't able to easily change it. Anyway, it is up there...

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There are some buyers who'll not be interested in buying a house unless it is vacant while others don't mind especially if they plan to rent the house.

However as long as you can assure interested buyers that the tenant can move out at short notice they won't mind seeing him around. Since you aren't certain that you'll find a buyer who is willing to pay a good price for the house you should inform him that you intend to sell the house but don't give him the notice until you find a serious buyer.

4. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

It will take longer than 30 days to complete once an offer has been accepted anyway so just give him his notice when you agree to sell. However, if the lodger knows that you are selling up, he might find somewhere else before this happens so do be prepared for that too.

5. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I have lived in places that the owner decided to put the place up for sale. They let me know when it was going up for sale and I was able to decide when I was going to look for another place to live. I was usually gone by the time the place was sold. I didn't wait for it to sell. I think as long as you left him know the plans then it is up to him to make other arrangements. Giving him 30 days notice once the house is sold is all that is required.

6. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Yes, thanks that makes a lot of sense. I think that I need to follow that strategy. He knows I plan to market this in the Spring, and I think that he is casually looking for opportunities in housing. Although I doubt he will actually move until it becomes a necessity. From what I know of him is that he is a procrastinator. So, I guess I am safe there.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I don't think the tenant is a factor in selling your house, I mean as regards prospective buyers as long as they know that the house is presently occupied. But it's also a good point if the tenant would keep the house neat because a messy house is a turn off to the prospective buyer. However, the tenant has a contrasting interest so the landlord should be on the lookout for gimmicks that the tenant might employ in order to deter prospective buyers of the property.

8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I am in the process of buying a home and many of the homes we have toured are still occupied by the owners. I think it is ok if you allow him to stay there under the condition that he keeps the place clean and he leaves the house while it is being shown to buyers. You can still get a good feel for a house when it is furnished and occupied.