Coup de' tat in Thailand

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Leeroy_MY, May 23, 2014.

1. Leeroy_MY

Leeroy_MY Well-Known Member

After ensuring the people that placement of military personnel around key infrastructures in the capital city was 'not a coup d'etat' by the military on Tuesday, saying:

"The Army aims to maintain peace, order and public safety for all groups and all parties," a ticker running on the army's television channel said. "People are urged not to panic, and can carry on their business as usual. Declaring martial law is not a coup d'etat." Martial law went into effect at 3 a.m. on Tuesday, the ticker said.

An peacekeeping attempt which even went as far as securing TV stations and putting a regulation on free speech to prevent further 'misinformation which could lead to further instability',

9c7d.jpg

The army went ahead and renegaded on their word today and announced a coup d'etat in Thailand, announcing "In order for the country to return to normal quickly, the National Peace Keeping Committee comprised of the army, the Thai armed forces, the Royal Air Force and the police need to seize power as of May 22 at 4.30 pm," army chief Prayut Chan-Ocha said.

thailand-coup2.jpg

Thoughts? Was this a right move in a deeply politically divided Thailand that has been plagued by Extremists? Or the beginning of a new regime?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. Goose

Goose Member

Great post. I honestly didn't know much about this subject until you brought it to my attention. I 've done a little research and it seems that this could actually lead to some positive change. There's no straight cut answer but you have to respect the bold move to militarize and reseize control.

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Them soldiers are friendly...this is the first Coup de' tat that i have seen so peaceful unless the pictures are lying and i think not, they speak a thousand words in positive light..if this took place in our country...talk of a turn for the worst...it 'd be everyone for himself and God for us all...this has indeed taught me how selfish, greedy and indifferent we can get in light of a calamity but it all boils down to the governing bodies in power for such acts to come to light...i just wish my country would borrow a leaf from Thailand!

4. alexisfinch24

alexisfinch24 Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree that it was the right move by the army. They are being smart if you ask me. Being out with the public like that and, intetacting the way that they are is ensuring that they are seen as seeking peace for the country and not chaos. It's no different than our military out with the public. Maybe they took a page from our military's book. Now as far as the "take over" goes I believe if they are doing it for the right reasons then it is right on target. It seems to be about the people of the country and, not about the fat cat people in political office being deposed.

5. Leeroy_MY

Leeroy_MY Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly. I've read that ever since the coup, protests have gone to a minimal without the use of violence by the army. Much less than the past few years when the democratic government was in power. If any, the protests are isolated and in small groups of 50-100 people.

I watched a video where the army was sent to control a group of protesters and what they did was just directing normal people away from the protests and backing away whenever the protestors are acting aggressively. Very well done.

6. preyy

preyy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the share! It seems that it could potentially lead to some kind of change.