Creationism in schools

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by PatriceBa, Jul 15, 2015.

1. FrankieD

FrankieD Well-Known Member

Religion is the only area we give stupid ideas a pass. It's been taboo to criticize the ideas of others or the expectations they have if it falls under the umbrella of "their faith." Sometimes people get introduced to me as someone "who has a lot of faith" as if it is a virtue to believe things on bad evidence. Many people apparently feel that those with a lot of faith should get points in some ambiguous way for showing that they just might be willing to believe anything. It's a conversational problem and fortunately, the conversation is slowly changing. It's hard nowadays to throw out lame reasons with bad evidence when we can now link to and demonstrate good reasons and real evidence more easily. It's not science to say what could be, or what we wish would be, or what our favorite holy book claims to be. That's faith, that's personal opinion, that's the result of whatever got brainwashed into you.

Science is a system to study things we can actually observe and demonstrate. Creationism spots an area that we don't yet fully understand and makes the same unfounded claim as me coming along and saying "well, since you don't know that, we can't discount magic spells." There is no science in Creationism no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig. It doesn't belong in a science class or public tax-funded schools.

If you really want to teach your kids that things don't evolve and/or that species just magically popped into existence as is, brainwash little Johnny after his baseball game at home. Considering how so many fields rest upon evolutionary biology these days, you can blissfully cut down his chances of being on the cutting edge of science in the future.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  2. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

It's the truth, but it won't get taught because it's just that, the truth. Evolution is a billion dollar industry. They kill two birds with one stone. They hate the truth, so they push it out of schools which leads to gross immorality. And they make a ton of money. The truth wouldn't make money.

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I think creationism falls under religious education and that was taught at my secondary school, but that was 10 years ago so things might have changed in that time.

As long as it's not mandatory or forced I'm all for it. Teach kids about it and stuff but also leave an open door so the kid can choose what to believe their self.

4. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

I believe in teaching impressionable youths about things that have a basis and grounding in facts and reality. Creationism fails in that respect.

5. jfrack

jfrack Guest

I believe creationism should be taught in public schools because science has mostly figured out on how the Earth was created. Of course they have no proof and have no idea what would have caused the "Big Bang." This is where they would have to be careful, for this is where religion and beliefs could easily become involved, intentionally or unintentionally.