Cruz is in the game ...

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by SteakTartare, Mar 24, 2015.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

He's unquestionably my top pick for 2016. I also like Scott Walker and Marco Rubio. And to a slightly lesser extent, Rand Paul. The notion of Cruz an extremist is silly. He's brilliant. I don't throw that word around often but it's true in this case. Cruz is a champion for America and her values. A Cruz presidency would be welcome after this globalist, left wing administration. We need someone who truly loves America, and who implements a limited government philosophy across the board, while reasserting American interests and power overseas.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I do like Cruz overall very much. He's very smart, a great speaker and debater, and is completely unapologetic and committed to his convictions. He's got the balls and honesty that are lacking in most politicians these days - particularly in those on the right who are scared of the media and scared of being labeled "racists / sexists / radicals", etc.

I wish he'd keep religion and social issues out of it, because he's 100% dead on on the things that matter and that affect us all.

I don't see him likely being electable at this point, and I doubt he''l even get the nomination - you're seen as a "radical" these days if you favor a smaller government and prefer adhering to the Constitution over political correctness and caving to media pressure. But he's my favorite overall at this point, and I'd certainly give him my vote.

Hopefully his guts and courage to say what needs to be said on those things that matter will rub off on the other Republicans, and his debating with the other Republicans will likely help thoroughly vet whoever eventually does get nominated.

I sincerely hope Bush does not get nominated, but I'll hold my nose and cast a vote his way as a vote against Hillary if it comes down to it. I don't think Bush can beat Hillary - it will take someone who is willing to get down in the mud and call Hillary to the carpet - someone who won't be afraid of being labeled sexist or of whatever the media will throw at them. Bush is too much of an establishment politician and not enough of a fighter.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Agreed, he's got to steer clear of religious and social issues and focus on fixing the economic train wreck created by Obungles and crew. I realize he was trying to ignite the evangelical block, but still, the Left has a party whenever a GOP member gets on those topics. I too have my doubts he will get the nomination, but he's no wimp, and could really take on whoever the Dems put up.

Also agreed on Bush. I'm not excited about his candidacy, nor think he has any real chance of defeating Hillary. Or, really, any semi-mainstream DNC candidate.

4. gmckee1985

Jeb Bush is actually a really bright guy. Very sensible and reasonal guy. Very thoughtful. I think he'd be almost a certainty to win the nomination if he had a different last name. However, he doesn't so that's really going to be the main challenge for him.

5. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Jeb has a lot of positives, though I think his stance on immigration and Common Core will be hard for many Republicans to sign off on. Granted, his work in Florida was pretty darn solid. But, as mentioned, his last name is Bush. That is a difficult thing to overcome in the current political landscape.

6. gmckee1985

I'm definitely opposed to his immigration views. Not only does he want to legalize those that are here illegally, he wants to import more high tech workers to take American jobs. Now, that sounds good in theory. If we had a shortage of high tech workers, I'd be all for importing foreigners to fill those jobs. But, we have tons of American college graduates who are qualified and able to take those positions. The problem is high tech companies want to hire foreign workers, because they will work for cheaper salaries.

7. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

Not that I'm necessarily against everything Ted Cruz, but count me for those hoping he doesn't win the nomination. He's viewed as too much of a "right wing extremist" to be a serious candidate against anyone from the democratic party, especially Hillary. He's only likable to a small portion of voters and he turns most people off with some of his religious and policy views.

I'm on the Rubio and Rand Paul bandwagon and think they have the best chance of enacting meaningful change and actually winning the white house.

8. gmckee1985

I don't understand how Ted Cruz is extreme w hen most of his positions are right in line with how at least 50% of the country feels. I know it's a big talking point I guess I just find it to be without substance. Cruz is crazy smart and I think his intelligence and confidence does turn some people off.

9. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

It's not that he actually IS extreme but its how he's portrayed in the media and its how he's going to portrayed moving forward. The story of him his announcement being mandatory for people to attend was just the beginning of the spin cycle against Cruz.

That's why I hope the GOP goes another direction. Cruz very well might be one of the most qualified candidates, but he doesn't have a prayer of winning.

10. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Well-Known Member

Well, it WAS a mandatory event for those university students. Now tell me, if Americans are all about freedom, then why WOULDN'T something like that be counted against him?