Decent Living Through Online Work

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by gracer, Jun 3, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I am a currently a work-at-home mom and I was wondering if anyone out here has his/her own story to tell about working online. Has anyone of you actually quit your day jobs and turned to online work? Is it really possible to earn a decent amount of money through working online to be able to provide for your daily needs?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I think this is more of a dream rather than a reality. Sure some people manage to do it but you really need to get extremely lucky to somehow find the followers needed to make decent cash. Online stuff is good for earning that little extra cash, but I don't view it as a replacement for a regular job. Remember, 99% of the work on the internet is stuff that Indians can do. They have the IT skills and they have a good level of English... and a lot of them are happy working for $2 per hour.

If you really want to stay at home then I would look into starting a business that you can run from home.

3. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Thank you very much for sharing. I was really wondering if anyone ever found success in this field of work but as you said, it might be close to impossible. I've also given the idea of having my own home-based business instead of renting out somewhere but I'm still on the process of choosing what type of home business can fit me.

4. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I don't think that is possible, but at the same time I do have a full-time job and I don't want to stay at home and work. I see online work more as a complement, for me is way better to work online as a complement than to find a part-time.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think online work is good for boosting your income but to be able to quit your normal day job is going to be a big ask. Working online you can have to work twice as hard so to get anywhere near a decent salary, you'll have to be working around the clock. And that's even if you do manage to find any work.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Those with a lot of followers on their blogs / websites can generate a pretty decent income. But we are talking thousands of pageviews per day. Each day of the year. So yes, not a realistic option for most people, some do have the talent / luck to pull it off though.

7. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

You can earn a decent amount of money if only you can get a Medical transcription job. It pays well enough. Getting hired is really hard though and you'd need to have some experience . . .

I've heard though that some freelancers make about $8 working on content mills. It isn't much but at least you get to choose when to work. Some think the freedom it accords them [choosing when and when not to work] is worth it. To answer your question is it possible to get a decent job? Yes you can — there always are thousands of article writing jobs posted on the net daily.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  8. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

You need to have a skill that you can freelance online. Good skills are things like programming, autocad, graphic design and certain types of writing. Or you can do the option of selling things online, in this case you can either do affiliate or setup your own online shop and sell your own products. If you go the content mill route you are writing articles for other people to make money online.

I just started getting back into making money online. It is the same problem in all industries, but more so on the internet, is things are always changing. 10 years ago, AOL was king, along with Time Warner, this is no longer so today. MySpace was king, but they have been replaced by facebook. So you have to keep up.

I was doing affiliate around 5 years ago, and I was making really good money. I should have stayed with it. But I decided to get into a brick and mortar business and lost my shirt :) Advantage of online is all you need is a computer, an internet connection and your skills.

The most important thing is to find a niche. You don't need to be the best at everything, just better in one area then 95% of people. A friend of mine was pretty good at setting up VPS/servers online, he also had some video editing ability. So he made a 2 hour video on how to setup your own VPS/Server, and then he sold each video online for $10. He also had an upgrade feature where if you paid an extra $10 you could ask X amount of questions. I think he sold like 400 videos.

He then made extra videos on how to do different things. The key is a niche.

9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I have to agree, it's all about finding that niche. I have a buddy that took advantage of his skills and is now making $2000 usd a month on fiverr.com. It makes me sick to my stomach that he is now making that kind of money off of something he loves doing and can do it so easily.

10. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I have read a lot of success stories of people working online but with the success came real-time hard work first. I know for myself that I'm willing to work hard at it but at this moment I'm still finding it hard to find a real decent income online. It's making me think twice about continuing or not. But I will test the waters for a couple of months more before finally deciding on quitting this area.