Deciding on the rented house?

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by shilpa123, Nov 20, 2014.

1. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

What factors do you take into consideration while deciding on a rented house. Most of the times I decide by looking at the location. I think it is best to stay at home having a quiet and stable environment. What do you think about it?

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

For me I choose the cheapest option that's closest to where I work. By living near my work place, I can save a lot of money on gas and get plenty of exercise walking to and from the workplace which would be good for my health too. Another factor I'd consider is security. I'd hate to rent a house in a neighborhood where burglars run amok.

3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

The location is the number one factor because I want to move to that location and not a different one. The second factor is price of course, sadly I can't afford it all. :)

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Location should be first and foremost, followed by rent price, state of the house am renting, security shouldn't be far off and nearness to the shops, carrying loads of groceries a long way is not my cup of tea :)

5. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

Since I am currently living on my own as a woman, I look for an apartment where there are other people around. I enjoy a quiet neighborhood where I can keep to myself since I work from home. It should also be in a price range where I will not struggle paying the rent. I moved into my current place because there is a lot of natural light. The walls are so thin and I have two hostile neighbors. That is life I guess.

6. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

There a number of things to consider regarding the location, for example, if it's close to where we work or where the kids go to school is something priceless really.

7. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I do believe that having a wonderful location is quite important. But the cost also comes into picture. It is very important that the cost is moderate and not too expensive.

8. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

Location is always important for me, particularly as I don't have a car. But space and the price tag are big considerations as well. It doesn't have to be a cool area or an up and coming one either.

9. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

I tend to base my choice on a plethora of factors to include the school, rent amount and the general feel of the neighborhood. There are beautiful rentals in the Virginia Beach area but the problem tends to go back to the location sometimes. I know that came out a bit wrong so let me explain:

I live in the Chesapeake area of Virginia. Virginia Beach is literally a few minutes away and I've considered relocating because I love the beach but the risk you run moving into specific areas of the beach is flooding, issues during hurricane season and an influx of pricing because they are building up the area. I generally gravitate towards a lived-in neighborhood with trees, established residents and a multitude of playgrounds but the possibility of flooding has to come into play.

10. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

For me, price and location were the two most important factors. that, and my preference for upper floor apartments as they are less likely to get broken into. I would always choose a location that was close to both my workplace and a main shopping area. Having a general store within walking distance was also a must.