Deferring applying for Social Security?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, Jun 23, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

The minions at the SSA think they know more than you do. If you are retiring and thinking about deferring applying for Social Security to a later age, pay attention to the details and check boxes on the form. You may be short-changed if you don't get it right. Ugly.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102778478

2. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is that when we are filling forms in, we need to be certain that we've filled them in correctly so we don't lose out on anything we are entitled to.

OK.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think that's sound advice throughout life, not just at a specific time with a specific form. Any time your dealing with the government I'd always triple check everything, especially if it something that would benefit you.

I'm not saying the government would try to wriggle out of paying you what your entitled to, but they are prone to drag the process out as long as they possibly can, due to small errors you may of made in an application process.

5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

As a younger person, I don't think Social Security will be around for me. I personally have no use for it. It's a government program that I would get rid of in a perfect world. I believe I should keep all of my earnings and only be taxed on what I actually purchase. Medicare, Social Security and income taxes take a huge chunk out of peoples pockets that would be better used circulating in the economy.

6. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

Uhh, this sound really fishy, but what could possibly make me wonder more...