Did you know Google bought PayPal?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Allison2021, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

Did you know Google bought PayPal?

I use PayPal often. I have used it to purchase items on Ebay. I have used it to get paid via all of the little micro-tasks I complete in any given week.

If PayPal is separate from Ebay, then will someone buy Ebay?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  2. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

What makes you think Google bought PayPal? please share the source of this information. I see that pay Pal is suppose to to split off from EBay in 2015 as a stand alone company trading on the Nasdaq. I do see speculation on interest in Pay Pal by Google a few months ago but nothing definitive. personally I doubt that such a purchase would happen without it being all over the news. Looking at Ebay stock makes me think this did not happen, it appears healthy and on an upward trend, no doubt in anticipation of the PayPal split.

3. Tara

Tara Active Member

I would like confirmation too. I haven't heard that PayPal is up for sale. Yes, eBay and PayPal split. I am very glad about that, but I haven't heard anything about Google purchasing PayPal. Google Wallet was a bust so I'm certain that Google is still interested in that space, but I don't think PayPal is going to fill it.

4. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

Google has definitely not bought PayPal. This isn't even speculation - just someone spreading a rumor. PayPal is being spun off by itself and there's no talk of Google purchasing them. As for whether someone will buy eBay as a result, I don't really see why there would be any additional reason why someone would.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

When Google buys Paypal it will be news indeed. Prior to the split, there were rumors that investors would be willing to buy an Independent Paypal. But all that was mere speculation . . . and will remain that. What remains to be seen is how Paypal fares in the mobile payments market. Should their competitors dominate the market then maybe Ebay might decide to sell Paypal but while the company still makes huge profits selling it wouldn't be the smartest move they'd make.

6. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Well-Known Member

Has this deal actually happened. I've been checking all over the place. I see E-bay is spinning off PayPal. However, Google has only expressed an interest in the company, so far as I can see. Please share more if you know something. That's would be a sexy deal.

7. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

So in short its a rumor-mill spread?....with the way Google are stricter with their rules nowadays, my stomach is in terrible knots over this...just wondering if it comes to be, how the future of Paypal will be like?

8. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this, I don't see why google would buy pay pal, they had a product called google wallet and the interest just wasn't there. I think it is possible to have your fingers in to many pies. I doubt if the split off will be bad for pay Pal, if anything it could become even bigger, it is one of the few things that is like banking online. It might become more bit-coin like, where users of the merchant services earn coinc=s towards other things, very similar to how credit cards offer incentives.

9. troutski

troutski Guest

You're joking, right? Why would you even think to spread outright lies? Google A) has no need for PayPal because it has its own payment services and B) didn't buy PayPal because PayPal is still part of eBay. No source, no actual information. Waste of time. A split is expected to happen sooner or later between eBay and PayPal, but it's not going to be Google, if any company at all, that buys PayPal. Nice try.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The spinoff from E-bay was pushed by E-bay shareholder Carl Icahn.