Did you learn about stocks in junior high or high school?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by jason, Oct 10, 2014.

1. jason

jason Guest

I had a few weeks in an 8th grade class where we observed the stock market and "invested" and tracked a company. It wasn't really helpful though.

Did you have an in depth course in the stock market? I wish I had when I was young.

2. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I wish I had learned the stock market at school, but unfortunately that never happened, so here I am trying to learn.

3. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Well-Known Member

My dad has traded in stocks for a long time and since the age of ~8 I started making trades through him with my money on stocks he already owned (i.e. I could by a stock from his portfolio at a certain price and sell it later - since he didn't charge me transaction fees) along with some fake yahoo portfolios. We did that for a few years and then he made another stock account with a few grand that I could trade in and then finally ~ the age of 13 I had enough money to make my own account and I have traded with it + added money to it ever since.

4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I can't recall being taught any economy in school even less stocks, but it's a shame because it can really redirect the way we think about the market.

5. vennybunny

vennybunny Guest

I wish! If I had, then maybe I would have gotten started much sooner. Then I'd be less broke today. :))

That said, I don't really think the way they teach stocks in school is very effective. Usually, they let the kids play a game simulating the stock market, but since there isn't any risk, people just make crazy trades to go for the highest marks and they don't really learn much practical knowledge that would be useful if they ever end up trading for real.

6. troutski

troutski Guest

We spent like a week on the stock markets in high school Government/Econ class, and that was about it. I've known a decent amount about the markets since I was 15 or 16, though. I started investing almost as soon as I turned 18 and haven't looked back since. Schools should spend more time on this subject, for sure.

7. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Never took on a business education class seriously in elementary school and i opted out in high school, i can say being on this board and browsing online in regard to stocks learning is helping me a great deal :)

8. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

We did not do anything in school that had anything to do with economics or stock investing. When I was much older I took a job with a company that made stock portfolio trading software. I learned a lot. Mostly stocks are speculative. I liked the statistical side of techical trading so when the company moved to North Carolina I cashed in my options and went back to college. I got my degree in accounting with a minor in finance.

9. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

My first real introduction to investing was courtesy of my 10th grade Civics teacher. He actually taught us lots of good real-life stuff.

10. ormaybeso

ormaybeso Well-Known Member

Well I'm not exactly done high school yet, there was an economics course at my old school, but at my new one there only seems to be an accounting course. I'll look into it a little more, because I'm pretty sure they do go into economics a bit in that course.