Different approaches to the purpose of religion

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by MNyte, Aug 5, 2015.

1. MNyte

MNyte Member

Religion has been around for quite a long time ( over 8000 years ), and has many uses. Politicians control people, taxes fluctuate a bit by it, people get inspired or aspire, or people use it to an advantage in debates. Religion has MANY reasons, but what is the main purpose of it? To keep people from becoming independent-minded?

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Religion predates the age before governments in any form were in existence. Religion came into being because people had questions about their origins. Stories had been handed down from generation to generation and the belief that they could get help from those who'd gone before them prompted people to seek help [through prayer] to ancestors and other spirits because some believe their ancestors had been made by beings who were greater than them.

Much later when religion was institutionalized and the leaders realized they had some power they began manipulating people, colored up religion as they pleased so they could profit from it. At its very core though, religion is almost akin to philosophy — it's a search for knowledge of the unknown [the afterlife].

3. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

The origin of the word religion come from Latin and it's re-ligare, meaning, to reconnect. I see it as the ultimate goal of religion, to connect us again to something superior.

4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I think it is a form of control. To stop free thinkers. I still believe to this day that in order for mankind for go to the next level, religion has to die. Throw away imaginary tales and believe in the things that matter the most, which is what is in front of you now, and not trying to prepare for a afterlife, that no one has the proof that it exist.

Most people live their whole lives in preparing for the afterlife. There is only two things in this life that is guaranteed, life and death. We are so focused on those two events that we tend to neglect the majority of that span, which is in between.

5. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Religion was mainly used to invite the community to a gathering of faith but as the years progressed it became a tool to control the masses, earn their leaders wealth and push political power to the highest authority. Organized religion can be bad or good, you'll be able to tell right away if your religion is cultish or crude, one way is their attempt to brainwash you.

6. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

Religion is a natural human concept. We use it to aid us, comfort us, give us a system to live by, and tell us what will happen in the after life. We turn to it when we have questions, for the most part. However, politicians and the elite see it differently. They see it as a tool for control, and it's worked quite well.

7. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I think it's the religious leaders who used religion as a tool to control everyone including [political] leaders. Remember the days of the powerful Popes who would crown anyone king? That's what we should fear. Should the church get to be as powerful as it previously was, then what they'll seek once again is absolute control. If we don't want history to repeat itself organized religion must die.

8. Sandra

Sandra Active Member

Of course there are always various opinions on religion and its origin and purpose. However, considering previous comments, it is true that conflicts among religions have caused major problems and much exploitation have been carried out in the name of religion, but is this limited to only religion? Definitely not! The fact that something or an institution has been used for negative purposes doesn't mean it's all bad. Money/currency can be good but it has surely been the root/basis of many murders and atrocious events. Should we do away with money? The whole idea of governance and governments certainly has benefits to help prevent anarchy and chaos but many systems of government have oppressed the people and used positions of leadership for wicked causes. This doesn't mean we should have no governments/leaders. I could find several other examples.

So religion has it's purpose. There are those who will abuse it and shed a bad light on it, but there are certainly others who's lives have been positively transformed as a result of the religious beliefs to which they hold and are filled with hope and purpose.

9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

I think that as any religion, is a way to find a reason for our existence, creating hell and heaven as a way to have hope that there's a life after death, and death is a scary thing for a lot of people. But as you've mentioned it may be a way to avoid independent minded people, but is obviously not like everyone is a believer, every day there's more and more agnostics/atheists out there.

10. evelin

evelin Well-Known Member

I personally think religion exists solely to keep the majority of this society under control. If you want to do something that's a bit unusual, doesn't this "God watches me though" thought strike your head, at least just barely? When I used to be a kid, this would usually be the first thought I get. Also, people need moral support. When we get old and hopeless, we try to find consolation in God. We are near death, and want to believe that life keeps existing thereafter.