Different approaches to the purpose of religion

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by MNyte, Aug 5, 2015.

1. jbepp

jbepp Member

I personally think that religion, and by extension everything that Kant considers metaphysics have the purpose of fulfilling that part of our existence that can't be explained through reason alone. Morality, for example, cannot be explained for a scientific point of view, as it would totally lose its meaning. You also have to keep in mind that you can definitely be independent and religious at the same time, just look at Kierkegaard and his magnificent books.

2. Benoit W

Benoit W Well-Known Member

Thе sесоnd grоund fоr skеptiсism is thаt rеligiоn hаs sеrvеd tо dеfinе thе wеstеrn idеа оf thе sесulаr, аnd rеmаins dееply еntаnglеd with it. Fоr сritiсs, this is visiblе in thrее diffеrеnt wаys. First, thе sесulаr stаtе dеfinеs whаt rеligiоn is; rеligiоn is privаtizеd аs а fаith whоsе оbjесt is thе supеrnаturаl, аnd diffеrеntiаtеs it frоm thе nаturаl аnd thе rаtiоnаl whiсh аrе thе jurisdiсtiоn оf thе stаtе. Suсh distinсtiоns, hоwеvеr, оnly sеrvе tо shоrе up thе аrbitrаry pоwеr thаt thе stаtе hаs tо dеmаrсаtе thе sphеrе оf its оwn sоvеrеignty

3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned before, I think that it has to do with finding a meaning to life, a reason to keep existing in a world that doesn't seems to be kind to anyone. It has a lot to do with hope too, for example, on Catholic Church, they think that there's a heaven and hell, and some of them spend their life trying to follow some rules so they can go to heaven, and that's their hope, and that's their expectation.

4. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

Some people see it like this and with their set of mind it is like that. Those are the people who cannot find more in anything. They have no flexibility and they live by the rules. I once talked to a priest, an old one as well, and he told me, "God is always with you. You do not need to go to a church to say a prayer. You don't need me. God is omnipresent and he is in all of us." He gave this advice and I really think that we are to blame if we are controlled. You cannot blame someone for trying to control you. It only your fault for letting them.

5. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Active Member

Religions, in their oldest and most primal form, are the explanations to the natural phenomena that people of the time couldn't explain. To them, a flash of lightning, or a wildfire had no cause, they just happened spontaneously. And humans fear and revere what they fail to understand. So they created gods and goddesses, who were the embodiments of these 'supernatural' phenomena.

6. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Purpose of religion is enlightenment. people who are following religion for Politics, personal gain etc. They are not following religion. they are just using religion to prove their ego.
    why we have many religions in world ? why not just 1 religion ? it shows, nobody can stop independent thinkers even fake followers want to stop them. so, Religion is not against independent thinking. If tomorrow any new religion introduced. It will be also sign of independent thinking. Religion is 1 ideology and many ideologies in world represents imagination, innovation power etc. of human brain. people who are against religion must understand that, by destroying religions we will become worst than animals. Not any religion is perfect, but, good and bad qualities exist inside human too and if human is top priority before Religion, then human must try to improvise himself , instead of blaming religion.

7. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member

Religion was just a way to govern people. It's just a government with a deity at the top. It's main purpose is to unite people under one belief system.