Do Not Rent To . . .

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, Aug 16, 2015.

1. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

I like to go with my gut and a credit check and especially reference checks.
    I base a lot of it on what past landlords have to say.
    Not so much the landlord before cause they might just trying to unload them, but a lot on previous landlords.

2. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

I'd have to say that would be a total waste of money. Like you said, if only the angry landlords post there, it would be even sillier to spend that money.

It doesn't sound much different from hotel review where mostly people who had trouble post... or reviews of doctors/medical services. If all went well, people won't generally take the time to post things like that, but let there be a complaint and out it goes to the social media.

So in finding a tenant, check their history of making rent payments. If they haven't rented before, there are other ways to find out how they are at paying bills.

One thing I wouldn't rely on too much is personal references. I mean who's going to give the name for a personal reference of someone who's going to say you're a lazy bum who doesn't pay his/her bills? :D

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

$30 is nothing to pay for a good tenant. But whether or not these websites help you to achieve that... I don't know. I think your own judgement (coupled with asking for the necessary papers) should be good enough.

4. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Given the financial implications of renting to a bad tenant, I'd say any outlet made prior to signing contracts to lessen your risk is always going to be wise. Obviously, cost-benefit analysis should be thought through, but $30 early on to save yourself potentially thousands of dollars later does seem to make economic sense.....

5. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I agree $30 is nothing compared to what you could stand to loss in unpaid rent and damagespecially if you rent to a bad tenant. I think such lists are a good idea but I am not sure if landlords would pay out for the information. Most landlords who have been renting for years are able to pick out good and bad tenants quite easily.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Angal Faria

Angal Faria Active Member

I think it's not right and can affect on mind of a tenant and landlords both and also a lousy record spread out from the area.

7. Angal Faria

Angal Faria Active Member

I agree with you 100%.
    Thanks for your beautiful input.

8. Chartman

Chartman Senior Investor

References - more than one - must surely be of more use that a voluntary online service? A lot of these services are open to manipulation so a good old fashioned reference from their employer or previous landlord will be of more use. Also, if the tenant doesnt feel right then dont take them on - trust you gut.

9. TomSands

TomSands Member

I agree completely.