Do you attend market research for your area?

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Glcameron, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

There are quite a few programs and seminars that allow you to carefully review the health of the real estate market in your particular area period do you take the time to attend the seminars or do you simply go through the process of looking for information on your own? I know as a budding real estate agent and investor I take the time to carefully go over potential properties as referred by my colleagues or through a simple search. The primary reason I ask this question is because I'm looking to get into investing a bit more and I don't think that somebody seminars are providing the amount of information that is required to be able to make a real dent in my particular market. I also find the seminars tend to charge quite a bit of money on top of the real estate fees that we already have to pay each year do you think it is worth paying for the seminar to get the information you may be able to find yourself or do you go through the process of searching yourself?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I'm not into direct real estate investing due to a couple of reasons, but if I were to do it I would certainly seek out information from multiple sources. Knowledge is power. So attending such seminars would definitely be a good idea but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't also do your own research.

It's the same with stocks. I get a lot of ideas and information from message boards such as this one, but in the end I always make my decisions based on my own research.

3. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

I've always done my own research. Like you say Glcameron, why pay when you can just find out online? Now I understand that some people might get information overload doing this but if you already know a little about things, it's easy to get the information you need. These seminars are just a money making exercise designed to reel beginners in.

4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I don't attend any market research and I agree with what you say missbishi, the best research is the one we do ourselves, get the pulse of the market.

5. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Same here...agree with you missbishi, i'd rather ask around or research online, than attend seminars, plus when it comes to sitting down for long hours am not so patient :)

6. Gelsemium

Yep, not to mention that those seminars are usually paid and we are not just investing our time, but our money too. And how many times we learn nothing?

7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I am not a fan of market research or focus groups. They take forever to complete and I have never been compensated well for my time. The most researchers will get out of me is a survey once in a while. I like to independently research my products and come to my own conclusions without the influence of others.

8. Gelsemium

I don't think that those are the sort of studies we are talking about rosy, but studies that give us information on what companies to invest in.

9. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I do invest on these research and I definitely think it is useful. I have been benefitted quite a lot. I do think that they are quite wonderful and definitely useful.

10. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I've never attended such seminars and don't think I will. Sure they can be helpful but I think that those into real estate business would try t get you to buy property they [or their friends] have been unable to sell. People can do anything to make money. And then there are the fees . . . I'd rather keep that money in my bank account and do my own research.