Do you believe in the afterlife?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by TheApollonian, Aug 30, 2015.

1. evelin

evelin Well-Known Member

I am convinced there must be something there, but our problem as a whole is understanding. We don't understand what happens next, nor do we want to apprehend such thing in case we were offered it on the plate. But it seems that no matter how much we seek for an answer, nothing comes out. Why don't we just live our lives in ignorance till we die and see for ourselves then?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I am a devout Catholic so my answer is already expected - I believe in the afterlife. As a philosopher said, we need God so even if there is no God then we have to invent God for our sake. With the life beyond, it is better to believe that there is than not to believe at all since not believing will just discourage us to think that we do not know what lies ahead when we die. That is one purpose of religion, to promise the people of eternal life or life beyond when they themselves have no solid proof if there is life after the physical death.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Do they remember their past lives, they have them in their mind as memories or they buried so deep under the surface [in the sub-conscious] that they remember the past through dreams. I had a dream recently and it was so vivid, it almost felt real. I was a French Canadian soldier back in the 1800s and could even speak French fluently [in the dream].

4. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

It can be both or either. Many people see glimpses like a trailer for a movie, and the memories that are buried are the more painful ones like being tortured or a painful death. In dreams they can also surface as the mind is at rest. It's more than likely it was a past life memory, sometimes they occur when triggered by something, the date, or hearing the name of something associated with the era.

5. jfrack

jfrack Guest

I do believe in the after life, especially when I hear stories like this. These are incredible experiences that show that there is more to our human life and something beyond our comprehension. Thank you for sharing this story.

6. danben

danben Member

I do believe in the afterlife, most likely due to have been brought up Catholic. I believe it is actually healthy to believe in an after life, because it gives us a reason to live a good morally sound life and to just give us hope and hope that our life will mean something.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what to believe in. Yeah, I'm a Catholic and we're taught to believe in a heaven and a hell. Whereas, other religions have this reincarnation belief. So for me, heaven and hell is what me make of our present lives. I mean, if you live truthfully and do not step unto other's rights, then you will have a free conscience and that is what heaven is for me. But if you live with crimes and lies, then your conscience will be bugging you every minute of your life and that is what hell can be like. But after death, who knows what will happen until we get there, right?