Do you have gold in your retirement account?

Discussion in '401k, IRA and Retirement' started by SteakTartare, Nov 25, 2014.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Hello all. I'm sort of a gold bug, but not the gonzo kind. That is I keep about 15-18%+/- of my assets in gold and silver. I don't, however, have a gold ETF or, possibly though unlikely, investment grade bullion in one of my IRAs and I'm thinking of adding that to the mix.

Has anyone done so? How has it worked out? Any particular investment you recommend? Thanks.

2. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I am not an investment guru, so I can't advise, all the gold I have is what I was offered along the years, nothing too much to be honest, I don't even wear it.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I like the GLD ETF in particular - I have some in it in both my retirement and taxable accounts.

I like to use unleveraged ETFs in moderation for commodities exposure.

Usually no more than 10% or so in gold, and perhaps another 10% or so spread out among other commodities - crude, silver, a few other metals, nat gas, an agricultural index, etc.

4. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Well-Known Member

There a book I just read "Good as Gold" (Kindle) the author suggest keeping 5% of your metals portfolio in copper in an anticipation of a run up in copper prices over the next few years. does that fit your investment goals. He calls for 50% returns in a short time. I'm intrigued by that. Gold hasn't done that in a while.

5. SteakTartare

Thanks for the thoughts. It is appreciated. I do have metals in taxable accounts, but not, at least as of this writing, in my retirement accounts. As I'm going to be shaking things up in that department come Q1 2015, I thought I'd ask.

Tangential question; What crude ETF are you using? I've found a few offerings and just started doing my homework. Thanks.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

No, I currently do not have gold (or any other commodities for that matter) in my "retirement" account. I don't actually have a specific retirement account... just my investment portfolio. But I see commodities in general to be more of a short / mid term speculation rather than a retirement saving.

7. SteakTartare

Out of curiosity, what type of retirement accounts are there available in the UK? As you likely know, there is a myriad of different types under the tax codes in the country. Anyway, just wondering. Thanks.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

This is one I like:
    http://etfs.morningstar.com/quote?t=oil

9. SteakTartare

Thanks JR. I am going to add that to my list to research. :)

10. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I don't have any money in gold, but I know plenty people who do. I think it is often recommended as something as part of a diversified portfolio, but there are certain ramifications and stimulation on the type of gold that is to be used. So you need to get it from specific places, and use specific brokers who are familiar with the regulations.