Do You Know Your First Cousins?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Muthoni, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

My family is not into visiting one another because when we were growing up my dad did not want us to visit our relatives. They were however welcome to visit our home. I would not be able to tell my first cousins from the strangers on the street. What about you?

2. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

First cousins... sure, I know every single one of them. Second cousins, not too many, and beyond that, I wouldn't know them passing me on the street.

When it comes to first cousins, though, I have 26 of them. There is one that I *may* not recognize on the street, but that's because he's one of the older ones. There are still Christmas cards and stuff, just not face to face contact with some of them. There was much more "getting together" when I was younger.

And now... hmmm... Facebook. I am connected with 6 out of the 26. I should probably see if the others have accounts, shouldn't I?!

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I know them pretty well, but rarely see or talk to them, unfortunately. I don't have many of them, and the majority of them are across the country, busy with their own lives.

4. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know them pretty well. I talk to my cousins about games or anime. We're pretty much close because they are my neighbors. And about second cousin, I don't know any of them.

5. martinez

martinez Active Member

I merely know all my first cousins because we almost chat daily via the internet. I remember sometime back we used to play hide and seek when we were still young. Everyone has grown of age and one of my cousin has a small kid. It's good to have a good relationship because I personally never get bored. When it comes to second cousins, I barely known anyone....

6. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Yes, i know my first and some of my second cousins but since we are all grown up...we behave like strangers to each other and i must say i love it...everyone ought to mind their own business :)

7. wvboarder

wvboarder Well-Known Member

I used to but my family has pretty much lost touch with each other over the years. Things change but now I only talk to 2 of the when I have around 8. It doesn't bother me or anything. I feel like this is a standard thing for a ton of different families. I think that technology didn't exactly help in the role of that either. Families are just naturally starting to grow apart more easily.

8. wulfman

wulfman Guest

Wow 26 ! I have 6 counting both sides of course.

9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

I don't see my relatives not even one cousin. I have more than one cousin on my mom's side of the family and I don't really know them. Its quite sad I do not know them that well but I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

10. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

Kate, that is amazing to know all 26 of your first cousins. I do not think that I have that many, my dad had three siblings while my mom had two. My siblings and I keep promising to create a get- together which never happens. As for second cousins that is a topic for another day.