Do you pray the rosary?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by SteakTartare, Sep 30, 2015.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Something I used to do a long time ago was pray the rosary. Some might think it boring, but it does have a calming effect. Now that I am not religious, I don't do so now. That and my Protestant wife tossed out my small number of rosaries after we got married. Most were el cheapos, though I had a nice onyx one my late grandmother gave me.

Is this something you do? In what tradition (Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, etc.)?

Thanks for sharing.

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

My family is Catholic but I'm not. There used to be numerous rosaries lying around the house but save for the Hail Mary prayer I never got to learn any of the other rosary prayers. I do agree though it has a calming effect. Anytime my sister looked distressed, she'd retire into her room and say some rosary prayers. When she emerged she'd be . . . happier.

3. Amin

Amin Guest

I don't pray to anything, but I do pray to Allah on occasions because the nostalgy makes me feel good and remind me of good old days.

4. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I grew up attending a catholic school ran by jesuits and my parents along with other members of my family are pretty devout so it's say to say I've had my share of sunday masses and rosary month. I maybe pray with the rosary once a year now when my family joins the annual holy week celebrations of the church.

5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

My whole family is catholic, so I grew up going to church every Sunday and I was basically forced to pray, and I didn't enjoyed it, at all. It seemed really pointless for me, but now that I'm a little bit older I know that a lot of people really put their hopes and dreams on religion, is a big motivation for a lot of them, and I don't think there's nothing wrong with it. But I personally don't pray and I don't have plans for doing it.

6. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

My family was Catholic too. In my opinion, the strict rules and the fear of God which Catholicism seems to promote are enough to put anyone off worship for life. I always thought Jesus forgave but according to the Catholic doctrine, we're all off to hell unless we say a dozen Hail Marys. I can certainly see how the rosary could be a calming activity though. it's a quite and focused thing and allows you time out from the usual stresses of the day. And if you do actually have faith then I'm sure the spiritual element to it is very positive too.

7. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I am not Catholic, but the rosary is a nice tradtion. I think if it calms you, it should be something you should do, if it is beneficial in your life. I don't think you need to be religious necessarily to benefit from religious traditions. I think if you enjoy the rosary and think it has been beneficial to you continuing to do it, is not a bad idea. We need to keep our spiritual traditions alive I think.

8. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

I pray, but not the rosary. It just seems like a ritual that isn't vital. I believe there is God, and then there is everything man has made up about God. If it feels wrong than it really might be wrong.

9. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I also pray but not to the rosary. I am not Catholic and wasn't brought of that way. Every religion has their own beliefs and set of rules. Who is to say what is wrong and what is right. Whatever makes you feel better and gives you peace then that it what works for you.

10. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

I get bored praying the rosary, repeating the same prayer over and over again. I have no problem praying with it though.