Do you pray the rosary?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by SteakTartare, Sep 30, 2015.

1. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I actually used to pray the rosary religiously with my mom. But you know, as I grew up, I tend to prayed it less and less until not anymore. Sometimes I do, when there's an event, like a traveling relative or loved one in the hospital. Which are pretty good reasons, but not really that appropriate to just pray when you need something, right? And I think that's what most people, like me, are struggling with.

2. knitmehere

knitmehere Well-Known Member

I was raised Catholic and used to pray the rosary on a regular basis. You're right in that it has a very calming effect.

I'm not longer religious, but I do sometimes miss the feeling that little tasks like that would give me.

3. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

The rosary is unbiblical and actually condemned in scripture. They are praying in vain, and God certainly does not hear their prayers. It's idol worship. All of the catholic false religion is. It has no basis in scripture and other false religions have been using beads for centuries too.

Matthew 6:7- But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

As an agnostic, I've got no dog in the fight, but I know Catholics take the notion on Matthew 6 that the key point is heathen prayers are vain because they were to their polytheistic gods (e.g., the Greco-Roman pantheon), rather than the true God Yahweh. On the other hand, I can see how Protestants would view the repetitive nature of saying the rosary as problematic. That might explain why the Mrs made my beads disappear after we married, though she knew I wasn't a practicing Catholic at that point.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

There is a group of old women here who invites me to their rosary prayer once in a while. It is called the block rosary where neighbors congregate to pray the rosary. The host usually serves snack after the prayers and the participants would engage in casual chat afterwards. They always assign me as a host at least once a year. And I would prepare the best snack plus some fruits for a take home giveaway to them. At least the praying of the rosary has become a social affair here.

6. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

I no longer subscribe to thenorder and rituals of Catholicism. I am a Christian and if I pray, I only pray to Christ or God as they are one in the same to me.

7. danben

danben Member

I try to pray the rosary once a week (I am Catholic) and I do this because I believe it is very beneficial to receive the help from Mary, who bore Jesus and was conceived without sin. I have heard great success stories of those who pray and ask Mary for help. I also will pray the rosary if I ever am forced to miss my weekly Sunday mass.

8. jfrack

jfrack Guest

Yes, I do pray the rosary. I believe it is a very crucial part of my faith, I am a Roman Catholic, and believe Mary was a great person who deserves prayer. However, I am inclined to say that it is important to understand that we do not worship Mary, but ask her to pray for us.

9. danben

danben Member

I do personally, I believe that it is important. Mary was a great person, only human born without sin and was very close to Jesus. I believe she can be very helpful for us.