Do you remember?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by cmiller, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I remember the first large amount of money I received from my grandfather. He gave me a tidy sum after I performed very well in the final exams in my primary school to qualify to go to high school. I ate a lot of my favorite snacks at that time. I had not understood the value of money by then.

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

What were your favorite snacks to eat? Getting that first piece of money is satisfying at first. Then you have to realize that was the first check you still got more to go.

3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

Sadly I've never had a big check yet, but when I got my first check of my first job I immediately purchased a ridiculously expensive white shirt, I still don't know why I did that, but I don't regret that at all, that little white shirt still makes me really happy!

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I didn't save it either. I took my mom and dad out to eat at the fanciest restaurant in our area and then I filled Dad's Jeep with gas, which wasn't all that much back then. After that I treated myself to a new outfit and a night out on the town. Having my own money was great! Of course I was really quite young at the time and just starting out in life so didn't really have too many responsibilities.

5. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I bought groceries and some wine and celebrated. I also took my family out to eat but my father wanted to pay the check. LOL. I put most of it in my savings too but I got myself some new clothes for work.

6. Sandra

Sandra Active Member

My first 'big' check went straight toward my tertiary tuition as that was the intention for which I received it, and it seemed like just a drop in the bucket compared to my tuition. My first work check was not big but I valued it because it was my earnings. I deposited it but also used some of the money for a little shopping for those things that I really needed.

7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

My first big check was like the accomplishment of a lifetime. I think it was only for like $400 so it would be small potatoes now, but I was so happy I had done something with my life. I just wish I hadn't blown the money.

8. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

My first paycheck was saved and then I spent it on stuff like gas. I'm boring lol

9. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

What'd you blow it on?

10. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

I actually bought myself a new phone with my first check. It felt really good to spend money that I earned.