Do You Think Facebook Search Will Have an Impact In The Search Industry?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Facebook will launch a search feature that will allow users to search for content that is posted on the site.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/23/facebook-launches-search-feature-taking-swing-google-twitter.html
    Personally I don't think I'll be using Facebook search any time. If Bing which has been around for ages isn't that great a search engine, i doubt that Facebook's search will provide anything that will impress their users and make them ditch their favorite search engines.

2. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

I rarely feel the need to search for cat photos, passive agresssive outbursts or countless kid pictures so I doubt I'll be using the search facility either.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

If someone wants to find something on Facebook they'll use the default FB search engine but when they are looking for something on the net I suppose someone will use the search engine they are sure will find them what they seek. When they don't mind wasting some time they could use any other search engine. I wonder though when Google will have competition worth worrying about .

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think the search facility that Facebook already have in place is more than adequate for what users will want to search for to be honest.

I'm sure they'll have done research, and that's why they're thinking about introducing the new system, but I know I for one won't be interested in using it, and neither will a lot of others in my opinion.

5. turt

turt Guest

The problem with Facebook is the fact that most of the information is absolute garbage. Normal search engines are already having problems with too many people publishing non-sense. Facebook collects all that exists on the internet.

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

That is just Facebook making more changes. Just when you think you figured it out they change it all again. I don't think there really is need for a new search feature. The one that they have is good enough. Why not just leave things they way they are? I can't see many people really wanting it or have the use for it. It is just Facebook!

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

The Facebook features aren't always verified, as you can look up something and it comes up with vague details that maybe out of date, with no check-ins, or anything. Maybe it helps with SEO, but these days people will use a search engine if they want to select a service, and Facebook will be limited to what content has been shared.

Some people will use it because it's convenient, but I can't see it as a replacement because there are many people who don't have Facebook accounts.

8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I think what made FB think that they can get into the search market is because reports indicated that most people who bought stuff online were referred to the sites they visited from Facebook. It shouldn't be surprising since online retailers have Facebook accounts and will entice people to buy from them with coupons and other fancy offers. They want to make a little more money from ads now and they will too.

9. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I can't see a point to them adding this "feature". Only point that I'm trying to make fit the bill is if someone wants to view their friends posts of old but then they could just do that on their profile or something right?

Other than people trying to cyber-stalk someone, I can't see anyone else actively using this.

10. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Facebook search has come in handy for me! I think it's a valuable tool. It's no longer just people you search for, but actual articles and posts. I love it.